Chapter 5

Moral of the Story - Watsky

Fitz knew he was dreaming when his year 7 geography teacher, Mr Gilbert, began mooing. It was a metallic groaning sound that resembled the Hans Zimmer Inception horns more than anything else. It sounded quite cool. But Fitz couldn't stand the fact that Mr Gilbert was groaning so out of time with the song that was playing, y'know that song that Fitz had as his-oh, ringtone.

He jolted upright only to instantly regret it. The hangover had managed to bash right into his forehead as he did so. Reaching across to the vibrating phone he answered without checking the caller ID. Another bad idea.
"Yeah?"
"Where the fuck are you, Fitz?" A thick American accent asked.
"Um...the den...I think?"
"Oh and here I was hoping that you might have a different answer this time. Tell me you have a more original excuse for not turning up."
"Turning up?"
"Two words: Jamie's Lesson." Fitz was suddenly very awake.

"Shit!"
"Oh so no fabulous excuses?"
"Shut it, Marnie! It wasn't my fault!" Fitz began scrambling for his guitar, wrestling it back into the case only to find that the lid wouldn't shut.
"Sure it wasn't. Listen, you just count your lucky stars that you got yourself an amazing cousin with an extensive list of contacts willing to cover your ass when you abandon a ten year old at his guitar lesson with no teacher or supervision." Finding the cause of the problem, a dodgy hinge, Fitz finally managed to slam shut the guitar case.
"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Who do I owe?"
"Mikey."
"I'm sorry, come again?"
"Haha you bet."
"It's just I could've sworn you said Mikey."
"That's right I did. You now owe Mikey Jones a grand total of £55.78."
"Are you taking the piss?"
"No he was very precise, you'll see the full bill by email."
"Oh come on...." Fitz groaned, sinking one again into the old leather sofa. Messaging his forehead he tried to count up what a dent that would leave in his spends this month. "You could have called me sooner!"
"Uh, I tried!" Marnie said indignantly, "But fortunately the world does not revolve around you and some of us have actual jobs to attend to as well as their annoying baby cousins!"
"I have a job!"
"Oh yeah I see that's working out great for you!" Marnie's voice softened to a more sympathetic tone, "just try and get your shit together before dinner tomorrow, Fitz."
The line went dead.