𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 7 ♡︎

"When do you think you'll go back?"

They're sitting at a table in a famous restaurant when Katherine asks the question. Stefan stops eating and he frowns. Of course Katherine would be wondering about his return to Mystic Falls.

"To be honest I haven't thought about it yet."

"You know that you'll never have closure if you don't—"

"I know, Katherine. I just don't think it's a good idea right now."

"Why not?"

Because I don't know how I feel anymore, Stefan thinks.

"Because I'd rather have my bloodlust under control before going back."

"Oh. Well don't worry about that. You're doing well. It's been more than a week since I've last had to yell at you and we've been feeding three times a day."

They interrupt their conversation as the waitress comes to ask them if they need anything. Katherine smiles politely and sends her away after thanking her.

"Listen, maybe we should leave for Mystic Falls tomorrow morning and we'll stay out of sight for a while. You know I like to make my presence known only on my terms."

Stefan has to laugh at her words. Yes, he definitely knows that.

"Well, give me the night to think about it."

"That's a deal."

They spend the rest of the evening talking about what they'll do after Mystic Falls. Neither of them realizes that they are actually planning to stick together. It feels natural and right.

Stefan wakes up in the middle of the night and his eyes scan the room to check up on Katherine. She's not here. He's alone in the room. Slowly, he pushes the covers back and gets up. He lets his supernatural hearing trying to pick up a sound and after a few seconds, he realizes that she's on the balcony of their room. The curtains are drawn and he can't see her but he knows she's here.

"Katherine?" He whispers as to not startle her.

She doesn't turn to face him but she holds out her hand behind her and he takes it as a silent invitation to join her. Together they stand, their fingers entwined, and the cool breeze of the night is a gentle caress on their faces. From this hotel room they can see the whole city and Katherine doesn't believe that there's a more beautiful sight than a city by night.

"What is this, between us?"

Her voice breaks the silence, but she spoke so softly that Stefan thinks for a moment that she didn't mean to say it out loud.

"What is it, Stefan? What does it mean?"

Well, now he knows that she was speaking to him.

"I'm… not sure I have an answer to give you, Katherine. All I know is that it feels good. I feel good when I'm with you. And sometimes, you drive me crazy but I can't… I can't imagine being without you. I shouldn't feel this way, but I do."

His voice is no more than a whisper but Katherine hears him without any trouble. She squeezes his hand lightly.

"Why would you ask me that now?"

She hesitates for a second, takes a deep breath and starts talking:

"I couldn't sleep. So I came here, and I started thinking. You know about my feelings for you, you know they're real. I can't keep them from you anymore, Stefan. Earlier tonight we were talking about what we'll do after going to Mystic Falls. And now I realize that… Whether you want it or not, we already are together, Stefan. Minus the sex and everything, but still. We are acting like a couple. Yesterday that man in the street said that you were lucky to have such a pretty girlfriend, and you didn't deny it. Last week you bought me a red rose. Would you do that for someone like, I don't know, Caroline? And all the times you get jealous when I flirt with random guys? You don't do that with your friends. And I know that being on human blood makes you different; that it heightens your feelings, but it can't change you that much."

Stefan has listened without interrupting her, and her tone was still very calm; her eyes still looking at the sleeping city. He doesn't let go of her hand but he doesn't reply. Instead, he moves slowly until he's standing behind her. As usual, his arms circle her waist and she leans back against him. But tonight, Stefan places a small kiss on her neck and he sees how Katherine shivers under the touch of his lips. It makes him remember their nights together back in 1864. Her skin is as smooth as it's always been. Stefan lets his forehead rest against Katherine's shoulder and he feels her body tighten.

"Stefan…" She begins.

"Shhh. Just… I don't want to think about tomorrow. I don't want to think about anything right now. I just need to feel good, and that's how you make me feel."

"I won't always be here."

Stefan ignores the ache in his heart at her words. His hold on her waist tightens and he knows that she felt it.

"Don't leave me. You already did that, once, and it destroyed me. It destroyed Damon, too."

"You coped well."

"No. I didn't. I didn't want to remember, I wanted to forget all about you, Katherine, but I couldn't. I lost myself in the bloodlust. That's why I became the Ripper in the first place. Because I was hurt, and I thought that turning my emotions off would help me. It didn't. It made it worse. But now, you've helped me control it. I can only do it when you're near."

His voice breaks and Stefan hates himself for being so weak. Clearly, Katherine has heard the sob strangled in his throat. She turns around in his arms and uses one finger to lift his chin.

"You are way stronger than you think you are, Salvatore. But if you want me to stay then I'll stay."

She smiles softly at him and kisses his cheek.

"Come back to bed; I think I'll sleep now."

He takes one last look at the city and follows her inside the room. Tomorrow, they'll go back to Mystic Falls.