CHAPTER 26

"MY CHILD, YOU HAVE to become the most intelligent and talented prince, so you can become the next ruler of this Empire

"MY CHILD, YOU HAVE to become the most intelligent and talented prince, so you can become the next ruler of this Empire." The woman brushed the young child's hair.

She was looking at him fondly while the young child's gaze was warm and curious. Prince Louis Lucrix La Celeste, the second imperial prince of the Abyssian Empire and the Emperor's third registered child.

He was born directly from the Empress, making him the next heir apparent to the throne. Many were fond of him because of his lineage. Unlike his other imperial siblings, Prince Louis had the most supporters.

However, the second prince was not exceptionally bright. The brightest child of the current Emperor was none other than the first and the third prince.

The first prince was the child of the first Queen, and the third prince was a child of a concubine, making the two unqualified to become the next heirs.

Despite their maternal problems, the emperor was quite fond of them. He usually attends any ceremony related to the two princes.

The second prince was aware of this, but he ignores it knowing that they will not be able to covet what is his. He was too confident that the throne would be passed onto him regardless of the emperor's irritating fondness for the two.

But then, the pillar holding his place as the crown prince was broken. His mother, the Empress, dies a sudden death. The Empire lost their Empress, and Prince Louis lost his mother, his supporters and his father's favor.

His title as the crown prince was soon revoked with the reason that the second prince was suffering because of his mother's death.

'Why are you using my mother to pass the title to your favorite child?' Prince Louis thought. His small hands formed into fists as he watched the emperor and the first prince from the window of his room.

The first prince was busy with his swordsmanship lesson while the emperor was watching him fondly. A dark vine of hatred crawled up to his chest. His eyes clouded with hurt and betrayal.

There was no evidence, but Prince Louis believed that his father and the Queen had conspired against his mother to make the first prince, Prince Mikaelis, the crown prince. And Prince Louis would not stand idly for that.

The brightness radiating from him was soon tainted with darkness. The second prince took his time in his study room, reading every book he could just to prove how worthy he was for the throne.

He overworked his young body and eventually, he became sick. This gave enough reason for the emperor to neglect him. As Prince Louis wallowed in despair alone in his room, a dark entity heard his prayers.

"I hear your despair, your highness. I hear your pleas for vengeance. And I am here to offer assistance to you," the ominous voice whispered, but to Prince Louis who had nothing, it was the sweetest voice he had ever heard. "Do you wish to form a contract with me?"

And Prince Louis began his preparations on that day.

"WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN thinking, contractor?" The second prince frowned as he heard the familiar voice of his personal aide, Elena.

It has been 10 years since the two met. And 10 years since he committed his first crime. Elena smiled brightly at him, one that annoyed the prince.

"What do you want?" he asked as he continued arranging the papers on his desk.

Elena chuckled as she approached him. It was only the two of them, well rather, it was always the two of them. Prince Louis never allowed anyone to serve him, except for Elena. It was because of the contract they made back then. The contract that changed everything for him.

A soft grunt slipped past his lips when Elena cupped his chin with her forefinger and thumb. The woman tilted his head up, allowing her to visibly see the crease on his forehead.

"What's annoying you, my prince?" Elena asked, her other hand brushing off the crease on his forehead.

"You're annoying me, Elena. What do you want?" He answered, not bothering to brush her hands off.

Elena only smiled at him, still fascinated at how cranky her master was despite all those years they spent together.

"Why don't you do your task now? We have to make sure that the fourth prince will not be able to come back here in one piece. We also need to dispose of the third prince. As expected, he must be investigating that lady's case," he said through gritted teeth.

"You know that I'm a powerful being, right? You don't have to worry too much, your highness." Elena chuckled as she let go of his face. "But I shall do as you wish, contractor," she said then vanished into thin air.

It was the truth. Elena was indeed a powerful being, but that was all before. All she needed was to complete the contract with the prince and get a hold of the Eveningstar's summoning room to fully gain her powers back.

Prince Louis continued with his tasks when Elena left. He's closer to his goals now. Once he's emperor, he would wipe out every noble who turned their backs on him, especially the Eveningstars.

After he was done with the paperwork, Prince Louis decided to visit his father's chambers.

As per his instructions, no knight was following him. The medallion around his neck, where their contract was imprinted, was enough protection to guard his life.

"The 2nd Imperial Prince, Prince Louis has arrived," the servant announced.

The doctor and the emperor's personal aide looked nervously at the door. They quickly resumed their jobs as the emperor's caretaker when the prince entered.

"How is my father doing?" Prince Louis asked, his eyes fixated on the unconscious figure of the emperor.

"The emperor has been doing well, Your Highness," it was the doctor who answered.

Due to his busy schedule, the second prince only took a couple of minutes to check on his father. There was really nothing to check for him. He smirked as he headed out of the emperor's chambers.

Based on his condition, he only needs a few more daysbefore they proceed to the plan. The death of the emperor will proclaim him asthe next ruler.