TWENTY-SIX

•TWENTY-SIX•
Matthew

My whole body freezes at Khye's words.

"How?" I whisper and my best friend gulps. "How?!" I shout.

"Matthew, calm down." Amara whispers, rubbing my back. "It's not his fault."

I take a deep breath and slowly nod my head. She's right, it's not his fault.

"I'm sorry." I tell him. "I just hate the fact that you're also a victim to their disgusting abuse."

"How did you find out they were Matthew's parents?" Amara questions him and I find myself grabbing hold of her hand as I try to compose myself.

"I fucked up on a delivery and I remember listening in on their conversation one night. They said how useless I was, j-just like Matthew, I sort of pieced the puzzle together after that." I release a shaky breath and tilt my head up to the ceiling.

"Where are they?" I ask, my face hardening and I feel Amara's hand tighten around mine.

"Look, if you're planning on looking for them, Matthew, don't bother. They're dangerous." Khye sighs, running his hands up and down his face.

"You don't think I already know that!" I slam my hand on the table. "They shouldn't be roaming the streets freely, they need to be locked up for what they did to us." My voice cracks as I feel the overwhelming feeling build.

"We'll get you both justice, I promise." Amara smiles gently, wrapping her arms around me. I inhale her intoxicating scent.

"I know it not my place to question your relationship b-but how did you get together?" Khye questions, his eyes alternating between his sister and I.

My face heats up.

After everything that has gone on, we haven't had the chance to acknowledge the fact that Amara and I are in a relationship.

"Well, I'm a professor at Amara's university. I actually teach her." I awkwardly scratch the back of my neck and watch as Khye's eyes widen.

"Oh right." He whispers, slowly nodding his head. "Well as long as you make her happy, I'm not bothered. I know you'll treat my little sister right." Khye says and I smile at my best friend.

"I've missed you." I smile gently.

"I've missed you too." He says before groaning in pain and clutching his head.

"What's wrong?" Amara panics, placing the back of her hand against his forehead to check his temperature.

"He's going to start getting withdrawal symptoms." I point out. "Khye, when was the last time you took a drug?" I question and I watch as he looks away in embarrassment.

"It's okay, Khye." Amara reassures her brother and he gulps.

"It was a few hours before I saw you. I'm sorry, Mari, I'm really, really sorry." He whimpers, pulling his sister into a hug and I bite my lip.

He doesn't deserve this.

•••

"As soon as you are settled in, we will come and visit you, okay?" Amara says, running her hands through her brother's hair.

We are currently in his room in a rehabilitation centre where he will be staying for the next six months. I wanted my best friend to get the best possible help there is, so I searched for the most expensive rehab.

Amara is annoyed that I won't tell her how much I paid for the rehab but I will do anything to make sure she is happy and not stressed.

"What about mum and dad?" Khye questions, tilting his head as he looks up at her from his seated position on his bed.

"They will come to visit you too, don't worry." Amara reassures him.

"Thank you so much." Khye looks to me and I smile, nodding my head. "I promise I will be better, for everyone."

"Just focus on getting better for yourself first." I tell him and he nods, scratching his scabbed arms. "We should get going." I turn to Amara who nods her head.

"If you need us, just ask someone to call." Amara informs Khye and he nods his head.

As soon as we've made sure Khye is settled in, we make our way out of the building and through the car park. Amara's silence unsettles me a little and I find myself getting worried.

Is she mad at me?

We climb into the car and my heart breaks when she just breaks down.

"Oh, baby." I whisper and pull her onto my lap. "It's okay." I say, rubbing her back as she cries into my neck.

"I should have done better at being there for him, then he wouldn't of left!" She cries out and I clench my eyes shut at the pain in her voice.

"It's not your fault, Mara. Please, don't blame yourself." I plead with her, my own eyes watering at the fact that my precious girl is in pain.

I let her cry until all that's coming out of her lips are small whimpers. I pull back a little and grab her face gently in between my hands.

"I love you. I love you so fucking much." I place kisses on her wet cheeks and she giggles softly, making my heart warm. "There's my girl." I grin, brushing the last of her tears away with the pad of my thumb.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so emotional lately." She croaks and climbs back onto the passenger side and I instantly miss her warmth.

"He'll be okay and we'll be okay." I smile and she smiles back.

"I love you." She leans forward and pecks my lips before situating herself back into the seat.

"I'll drop you off on campus." I tell her, not pleased that she has to spend her day off in the library studying when she could just do it at home with me.

But apparently I'm too much of a distraction.

"I'll be a few hours, you'll be fine." She smirks.

•••

It's been a few hours and Amara has not called or messaged to tell me to pick her up.

I pace the living room, thinking the worst. She won't answer my calls!

"You okay?" I spin around to see Nathaniel frowning at me.

"No I'm not okay! Amara won't answer my calls and I'm getting seriously worried." I exclaim, clutching my hair in frustration.

I just need to know my baby is okay.

"Im sure she's fine, bro. She's a strong woman." I release a deep breath, trying to compose myself the best I can but as soon as I get a message from Amara the panic comes rushing back.

A- I'll make my own way back, somethings come up. Talk later, phones about to die x

A/N
What do you think has come up?🤭💜