009 ||High Ground||

[Y/n's POV]

[Y/n's POV]

Clyde was standing on the edge of a cliff looking over the overgrown world below.

Joel hadn't shut up the whole walk. It was getting annoying really. Constantly talking about Aimee, monsters and anything else that would potentially kill us.

Minnow was painting a red circle on a cactus as a target for Joel.

Joel came panting over to us, he had fallen behind about 300 meters back. Pathetic.

"That's uh... that's a good little workout," he told Clyde, clearly tired from walking so far and so fast.

"A girl, huh?" Clyde asked Joel, taking the binoculars down from his eyes.

"Yeah," Joel yelled back while Minnow grabbed his crossbow.

"You left a nice, safe colony to travel all the way to the ocean for a girl you ain't seen since you were, what, 17?" Clyde questioned.

"That's why I'm here, to save his ass," I told Clyde.

"No, I know what you're thinking. I know how it sounds. It's crazy. But... I don't know. If you knew our connection you'd probably feel differently." Joel assured.

I know the feeling, I thought.

"We actually just got back in touch over the radio a few weeks ago. And it's still there. It's just magical. And so sweet. She loves me too, so a 'pick up right where we left off' kind of thing."

"It doesn't mean you have to talk about it every damn minute." I snapped at Joel. Though, I didn't know if I was saying this out of jealousy of Tom or Aimee.

Sure, he had always talked about Aimee, but, when I told him to shut up or stop talking I had been jealous that his love interest still cared for him. That they were still alive. Now, I'm starting to think think I am jealous that he still cared for her. And maybe I had grown feelings for Joel?

No, I couldn't have. He's... he's Joel!
He's a weak and awkward guy who was definitely not my type... definitely...

"You ever heard of the term 'fool's errand?'" Clyde asked Joel.

"Okay, so I'm a fool for believing in true love?" Joel asked. True love I hadn't thought of that in a long time.

"No, you're a fool because you don't know a thing about survival, you wouldn't last 12 hours without Y/n..." Joel shot an arrow at the ground.

"Wind," he muttered

"You shoot for shit, yet you got an attitude like you're some sort of noble warrior floating on the wings of love. Doesn't work like that," Clyde finished. I chuckled.

"Okay, super encouraging speech," Joel said. I passed him the crossbow and he shot, once again, missing. "Damn it."

I huffed.

"You're brainig out," I told him.

"Huh?" He looked at me with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Braining out. Thinking too much," I told him.

"Just say to yourself a needle through water." Minnow told him.

"'A needle through water?'" Joel scoffed.

"Trust me, my dad was the best archer in my colony." Minnow told him.

"Then why isn't he giving the lessons. Not that your not good, but..." I asked Minnow.

"Because I'm not her dad," Clyde called out.

"Yeah, my dad got killed. Back when we lived in the subway station. Along with Elliot."

Minnow told me. Great job Y/n. You made an eight-year-old upset!

"Who Elliot?" Joel asked.

"My son," Clyde told him. Okay, now I don't feel so bad. Joel asked an old man a tragic question.

"I'm sorry," I pitied him. What? I'm not totally heartless.

"No need to be sorry, we all have stories like that. Don't we?" Clyde said.

Joel picked his crossbow up and started reciting 'a needle through water' just like Minnow told him. He shot the arrow and it got really close to the target, but not close enough where I could be impressed.

"Hey, that was pretty close!" Joel cheered

"It was better," Minnow said calmly.

"It was really good, right?" Joel looked at me.

"It didn't suck," I smiled at him. I could have sworn I saw his cheeks go pink.

"Tell you what, kids. You gonna hang with us, you need to know some stuff."

"Yeah, hit me," Joel readied himself.

"First lesson,"

"Do you mind if I guess?" I asked him.

"Go ahead," Clyde told me.

"Always scope from high ground whenever you can," I snapped my fingers at him.

"That's right. Always."

"Always,"

"Always," Joel repeated

"It helps you spot the big ones in advance." Clyde finishes.

"Nice to know that things not following us anymore," Joel guessed.

"No, no it's definitely still following us. Just saw it." Clyde stopped Joel.

"What?"

"Yeah. Chumbler!" Clyde shouted

"I knew it," Minnow cheered.

"Big son of a bitch too,"

"Big sumanabitch" Minnow tried to repeat.

"It's got your scent too, man," Clyde told Joel.

"It's gonna be hard to shake,"

"Then why are we still standing here?"

"Chumblers aren't fast," Minnow assured.

"We gotta keep moving," I said.

"Should have already been gone,"

"It's got my scent," Joel said.

Joel and I ran to the edge where Clyde was standing previously. We saw a series of trees falling down.

"Shit," I muttered, "Come on, we've got to go," I patted Joel on the shoulder before catching up to Clyde and Minnow. But not before sneaking one last glance at Joel.

His hair is cute when it's messy

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit. Nope. Not today. No way, hozay! I cannot be falling for the Joel Dawson.