Chapter 2

Yet another betrayal came as she felt herself drifting out of consciousness. The rain's gentle drumming against the car lulled Seraphina to sleep with melancholy tunes. As she slept, the car carried her further and further from home.

When the car pulled down a long driveway and softly came to a stop, Seraphina jumped awake with a startled shout. She blinked frantically to clear the sleep from her eyes. The darkness seemed to engulf her until she was near certain the car was in the stomach of some awful monster. She shook her head both to clear the thought and to shake the sleepiness from away. "Where are we?" she murmured, her voice slightly slurred from sleep.

A voice as soft and slippery as silk answered: "We, my dear, are in rural paradise. Welcome to my home."

It took a while for the words to register. But when they did, Seraphina knew it was bad. Rural. There was no escape. Nowhere to run. Would she even be able to call her parents?

But, as her eyes began to adjust, Sera felt herself slipping into a false sense of security. There was nothing but a whole lot of trees and an innocent looking cabin. Perhaps, this was just a vacation. A time to relax and have some fresh air. Maybe that was what her parents thought she needed. Everything would be fine.

"Let's go in. Shall we?" Dr. Whitlock purred. He slid out of the car and stepped over to open her door. Seraphina climbed out and as she gazed up at the sky she realized that it wasn't quite as dark as she'd originally thought. Thousands of glowing, silver stars winked down at her.

She found herself following Dr. Whitlock into the house. The thought of running never crossed her mind, but it was just as well. Where could she run?

Dr. Whitlock flicked the light on and warm light spilled over the cabin. Seraphina glanced around, but her eyes failed to find anything sinister about the cabin. Actually, it seemed kind of cute... A coat rack stood by the door. On a small, wooden stool there sat a little brown teddy bear. There was even a stone fireplace, a comfortable-looking couch, and a fat armchair. Everything was small but perfect. 

Dr. Whitlock paused in front of a small wooden door. Seraphina stopped in her tracks as a sudden apprehension crawled into her throat choking her and cramping in her stomach. Her heart thumped, but as she stared at the door, she failed to find anything suspicious about it. It was just a simple, chestnut, wooden door. So why did she feel as if following Dr. Whitlock through the door, would be to never see daylight again?