Forbidden Rapture

Arnav found Khushi in the gazebo, sitting on the parapet wall, her hands hugging her legs that were drawn up to her chest. She had laid her head on knees.

'How many times do I have to come looking for you?'

'Go away!'

'Why? Were you expecting someone else?'

'I said, leave me alone! Go back to that bimbo you were dancing with.'

'Leave you alone? So that you can have a rendezvous with your friend'

'What?'

'Were you with him this afternoon?'

'What you talking about?'

'Oh stop it with the innocent act. In know you have a Masters' degree in it. I saw you having dinner with him yesterday night.

Khushi began to answer when realization dawned on her. 'For God's sake Arnavji! He is not my friend. He is your friend from college, Karan Khurana'

'He told you he was my college friend and you had dinner with him? Is that all it takes to avail your lovely company?'

'How dare you talk to me like that?'

'Why not? That is exactly what you deserve!'

'I don't have to listen to this!'

'Why Khushi? Does being beautiful give you the right to play with people's lives?'

'Stop it! Stop talking this if you are not going to explain.'

'Why are you dressed like this?'

'No. Tell me what you meant about me playing with people's lives.'

'Just answer me dammit! Why are you dressed like this?'

'Why should I tell you anything? You had no problems when Lavanya wore dresses like this! I didn't see you having a problem with that bimbo Ria's clothes either!'

'I don't give a damn about Lavanya or Ria right now! Answer me!'

'Because you said I don't have class!' she cried her words suddenly creating a chill in the atmosphere. 'You have told me that time and again. How does a poor girl from Lucknow earn class, Mr Raizada? I requested Di to help me out when you went abroad. She gave me training in etiquette and table manners. I learnt to walk in high heels and talk correct English. And for your kind information this dress was her honeymoon gift for me. Poor Di! How was she supposed to know this is a fake honeymoon and more importantly that this is a fake marriage!'

'Khushi!' Arnav dragged Khushi off the parapet wall and held her in a tight grip crushing the soft flesh of her upper arms.

Khushi shrugged away his arms in anger. The movement caused her purse to fall on the floor spilling all the contents. As she was putting them back into her purse, Arnav picked up some photos that had scattered away. It was a photograph of him in his college days along with a few of his friends.

'Where did you get this?'

'Why should I tell you? You won't believe me anyway.' She made a move to leave.

'Khushi stop! Answer my question.' said Arnav blocking her way.

'You asked me if I believed Karanji when he told me he was your college friend, right? I thought these photos were proof enough' she said quietly.

'Khushi I am ____'

'I went to the studio this afternoon to get the photos printed out, to make an album. Karanji helped me out with that. We were planning to surprise you at breakfast this morning. Since you left early we planned to meet after dinner. That was what he was trying to tell me when you dragged me off like a slave.'