1

BMHS; 001 [I]

001

"When am I getting married?"

part one

Around the time Meng Ting began to understand things, he was continuously told that he stupid beyond redemption.

He crawled slower, sat slower, walked slower and even learned how to speak slower than other children. At the age when other children could generally speak quite fluently, he was still finding it difficult using simple words to express himself.

Quiet, awkward and gloomy...he was a child that was disliked by others.

His grandmother adopted him from the orphanage when he was seven years old and raised him until he was fourteen. During those seven years, his grandmother repeated to Meng Ting day after day that he was foolish in every respect, that he was a good-for-nothing who only knew how to eat, and that he was a completely useless piece of trash.

There was a time when Meng Ting extremely feared the words 'useless' and 'trash'. Therefore, when he grew up and became more intelligent, Meng Ting expended all his efforts in trying to make himself a bit more useful, clever and normal.

From an outsider's perspective, he had achieved extricating himself from the chains which bound him as a 'trash', yet only he knew that becoming the so-called 'useful' was only accomplished after exchanging it with his hard work and his life itself.

He had died. More accurately, he had died from over exhausting himself.

At a private laboratory belonging to the Meng family, he had continuously worked for two days without sleep. Just when he was going to yield results, he had died from weariness, otherwise known as a sudden death, or death due to overworking.

It was unforgettable, the feeling of his heart being strangled by an intangible hand and the pressure from all around gripping his throat forcefully as if he was suffocating from being drowned. He was still awake and could sense his body's condition, yet he was powerless to do anything. All he could do was welcome the arrival of death.

He had died at the age of twenty-eight.

Now, he was alive again. He wasn't saved from surgery in an operation room, but rather, he had returned back to the time when he was seventeen.

He was the result of a passionate night between his mother who was in university at that time, and the already married third son from the Meng family. In the end, he was a product who no-one wanted, so three days after his birth, he was abandoned by his mother on the doorstep of a welfare agency. He was raised there until seven years old when unexpectedly, the Meng family learned of his existence. They gave his grandmother money to bring him back and raise him until he was fourteen, then he was sent to study for three years at a highschool which was completely sealed off.

During that period, Meng Ting had encountered dark and bitter experiences that were more terrible than being starved or cursed at. However, it was there that he managed to cast off the chains that labelled him as 'trash'. He then passed the entrance examination to the university his grandmother and the Meng family wished for him to be admitted into and enrolled in the course that they wanted. After graduating, he was directly sent to the Meng family's laboratory, spending day and night experimenting with perfume until he finally died from over-exhaustion.

Although he had lived to twenty-eight, his life could easily be summarised in a few words. Even he himself admitted that his life had been tedious and monotonous as there had been nothing special to recall in his memories.