progress and promises ( part 2. )

song of the chapter : season of the witch - donovan

       Jules did her justice.

     Selina Kyle was exactly how his patient described. Tall, young, and wore only black.

     She had these long, intricate braids with silver embellishments weaved in, and Jonathan's first thought was ; Did Jules only befriend elven-looking women? Were they just drawn to the equally fairy-esk woman? Ivy, Jules herself, even Harleen when she let her hair down - and now this woman.

       There was an emerging, strange theme going on here, and it only sprung up more unanswered questions about his patient. Her ex-coworker, Jules' self proclaimed "only friend", stood with her arms folded in the waiting room and staring right at him like he was the sole reason she was currently unable to see Jules Lovecraft.

       "Watch your wallet," was Jules' advice when he told her Selina had requested to see him the day before. She said it with a smile on her lips and a mocking undertone to her words, so Jonathan decided to leave it in his office all together.

        As he approached, the woman didn't readjust at all. She blinked slow and calm, and everything about her radiated feline energy.

         "Ms. Kyle," He greeted politely, nodding to her rather than offering a hand. He did not shake hands. "I've heard a great deal about you."

           Truthfully, it wasn't that much. As he knew her, it was warped by the veil of nostalgia. Jules spoke kindly about her, but it was clear they hadn't really talked things through since her arrest. Separated by Jules' crimes and the asylum itself.

        Selina was the source to a lot of her happier stories. Tales about lying their way into some poor old fool's cash, then going on shopping sprees, and then taking impulsive trips to foreign cities together.

        ( The happier stories were supposed to bore him - they weren't about her latest crimes or her psyche, and it certainly didn't bring him any closer to winning their game - so Jonathan shouldn't have enjoyed them the way he had. They were supposed to be obsolete. But, even with how silly it all was, he thought about them at odd times.

        When he was pouring coffee, or scribbling down notes in the late hours of the night. He'd tried to imagine what it would be like to see Jules' hair under the sun, and then he'd quickly try to ignore the fact that he ever pondered the color of his patient's hair.

         Curiosity is all, he's only ever seen her hair under the harsh asylum lighting. It made her hair look ghastly, and under the sun it might've taken a different tone. That's all. )

        "Doctor Crane. I've heard about you as well. "

       She writes about us? What do you think she says?

      Whatever she said, I don't think it's uplifting to the ego.

         "Thanks for meeting me. I've wanted to see her since she was arrested, but no one's let me... I was hoping going to you directly would help."

        Crane nodded, noting smaller details about the stranger in front of him.

         Selina Kyle clearly lost sleep over something ; dark circles and smudged mascara under her eyes, and everything about her seemed frazzled and alert. She picked at the sleeve of her dated leather jacket, almost like a tick.