Epilogue

"Well done team," Steve panted as they exited the underground bunker.

The Captain jumped out first, followed by Bruce, who transformed into the Hulk mid-battle and nearly destroyed everything in the enclosed space.

The mission was originally just a raid of a Hydra base that had been mostly cleared, save for a secret bunker on the lowest level. No lifeforms had been detected in the bunker, but a few of the Avengers had been dispatched anyway just in case there was some threat.

Turns out there was a threat in the form of four super soldiers who had been released from cryofreeze hours before the team arrived. Three bullet wounds (which Annie had taken care of), Two bombs, and one Hulk attack later, the bunker was cleared out and the soldiers were being taken into custody.

The Hulk roared as he stomped off towards the ship, followed by Nat and Clint, who helped each other out of the bunker. Bucky climbed out next and extended a hand to Annie, who let him pull her out.

Annie took a few steps off to the side and discreetly tried to catch her breath, a feat she was finding harder and harder lately. Her head spun and a quick wave of vertigo washed over her, causing the ground to spin underneath her.

"Are you alright Annie?" Nat asked quietly, grasping the blonde's bicep to steady her.

"I'm okay," Annie said, trying to downplay how out of breath she sounded. "I'm okay."

"I take it something is wrong?"

"How'd you guess?" Annie asked jokingly.

"Well, you weren't as involved in the chaos as you normally are. You hung back today and now you're out of breath. Wait a minute, you're-"

"I just found out yesterday and I threw up this morning to confirm it. Unfortunately, we were already in the city. I didn't think things would get as out of hand as they did or I wouldn't have come."

"I take it this will be your last mission for a while, huh?"

"Most likely."

"Who knows?"

"Just Fury. I called him yesterday to tell him that I'd be pulling out of field work for a while. I made him swear not to tell anyone."

"Damn," Nat said with a smile, pulling Annie into a hug. "I'm really happy for you."

"Thanks Nat."

"So, who's next to know?"

"My boyfriend, obviously," Annie said sarcastically as Nat threw an arm around her shoulder and led her back to the jet.

"Well then, let's get you home in one piece so you can tell him."

"Don't tell anyone, Natasha. I mean it," Annie threatened.

"My lips are sealed. Don't worry."

***

"Okay Annie, you can do this," she whispered to herself as she put the finishing touches on the little date she set up in their shared apartment.

Originally, Annie was supposed to be sharing an apartment with her brother while Katherine resided in one next door. Their building was a short walk from the Avengers tower and all three were easily living under the radar.

For three months after she left, Annie and Klaus kept in touch. They called every night. She told him about her missions and he told her about the family's return to New Orleans.

When Annie found herself in the Hermitage on an undercover mission with Katherine, she'd been shocked to find Klaus's landscape and  the hybrid himself there. She was even more shocked when he "asked" her to move in with him.