Chapter Nineteen

Rachael rocketed out of the chair as we emerged from the hallway. "Well, what happened? Did they squeal?" Her excitement quelled as soon as she saw my face. "Aly ...?"

Leihalani put an arm around my cousin and guided her to the other side of the room. "I'll explain."

Casting my eyes around the room, I found a chair, slumped into it and stared dejectedly at my sneakers. What the hell had I done back there? That wasn't me—was it? I'd never used my snow leopard form to threaten anyone before. It was one of the first lessons we were taught as children: being a shapeshifter didn't mean that you were better than anyone else, nor did it give you permission to be a bully.

I'd disappointed my entire clan with that stunt. God, I felt like utter shit.

Kesio and the captain stood by the lone desk. Propping my head up on one arm, I stared off into the distance and listened to their conversation.

"How soon will the transcripts of our conversation be ready, Captain?" asked the crown prince.

"Within an hour, Your Royal Highness. My scribe already completed the dialogue from our earlier chat."

"Good, I need them. I must return to Everfell immediately and inform the queen of the situation."

"Of course, Your Royal Highness. If you would wait a moment, I can summon the scribe."

Kesio grunted. I heard boot heels click on the floor and the sound of a door opening and shutting.

"Well, look at that," the elven prince said, slumping into a nearby chair. "You single-handedly uncovered a plot to sabotage the Convergence."

Wonderful for me. I sighed and rubbed my face with my free hand.

Leather and wood creaked as Kesio leaned forward. "I complimented you, lady."

My chin jerked up sharply. "That doesn't make up for how you talked to me back there," I told him, eyes narrowed. I wasn't one of his groupies or whatever it was they called royal sycophants here.

He leaned back, frowning. "I am a prince."

As if that made a world of difference. Assholes were assholes, whether they were princes or paupers.

"And I am the daughter of a Marine!"

"Enough," Leihalani sighed, walking up to us with Rachael in tow. "You know, Kes, that imperious act of yours has got to go," she said, running an exasperated hand through her chestnut hair.

The crown prince glared at his sister, murder burning in his silver eyes. Suddenly, he pushed himself to his feet and signaled to his bodyguards. "I will be waiting in the carriage," he said. "Ladies." He bowed stiltedly to the three of us and left the room, the Tsolas trailing after him.

Laughing dryly, Leihalani dropped into the seat her brother had vacated. "Don't mind my delusional brother," she said with a wave of her hand. "He's used to women fawning all over him and agreeing with every word that comes out of his mouth. Someone like you is positively foreign."

I rolled my eyes. Jesus. Just my luck.

Rachael stared at the elven princess. "He's never had a girl tell him 'no'?"

Leihalani shrugged. "Other than myself and our mother, no." She crossed her legs and propped her chin up with one hand, staring at the jail's front door thoughtfully.

"So," I said, trying to steer the conversation away from her brother, "what's our next course of action?"

"Ah, that." Leihalani leaned back. "This is a Crown matter now. It's up to my mother to decide what should be done."