Chapter Thirteen: Lover's Quarrel

It was a full day's journey to Ashdown Hall, the rambling, old-fashioned farming estate where Grace's eldest sister Ellen lived with her husband Mr Montague and their four children. As James rode along behind the coach, Grace was spared all but the thought of his company except for the intervals when they baited the horses or stopped for a meal at an inn. And at those intervals, she managed to avoid talking to him, except in monosyllables to answer his inquiries of tiredness or hunger.

By the time they arrived, it was getting dark. Before the groom could even knock on the door, it opened and a stout child came running out, shouting, "Mama! They're here!"

Grace recognized the child as her nephew Benjamin, some six inches taller than when she had seen him last. He peered at her through the dim light.

"Are you getting married?" he demanded. Before she could answer, he turned his gaze to James who was just swinging down from his horse. "Are you marrying her?"

"And a good evening to you too," James said.

Ben stuck out his tongue. "Are you marrying her?"

"You're astoundingly rude," James said admiringly. "Is it just the vicissitudes of the day, or are you always like this?"

"It's rude not to answer my question."

"So it is. We are the pot and the kettle."

"Well? Are you marrying her?"

"I'm in wonderful health, thank you," James said. "And how about you?"

Ben scowled and turned on his heel to run back indoors as Ellen and Mr Montague came out, already in evening dress.

"You're dreadfully spontaneous," Ellen said, swooping down on Grace and kissing her cheek. "We only got Father's express this morning. And this must be Mr Redwood!"

James politely shook her hand. "It is."

"This is my sister, Ellen Montague," Grace said, before presenting her cheek to Mr Montague for a scratchy, whiskery kiss.

"Wonderful to see you, young Grace," he said. "Do introduce me to the young man."

With some stiffness, Grace introduced James to Mr Montague. Immediately, Mr Montague began a loud inquisition into the parentage of James's horse, whose reins James was still holding.

"Don't keep the poor boy," Ellen said, putting her hand on Grace's arm and leading her inside. "We've dinner in half-an-hour and he needs to get dressed." She turned to Grace. "You need to get dressed. Come. I'll take you to your room."

In the bedroom, Ellen sent Grace's maid away to deal with the trunks and set about helping Grace dress. It was almost like old times again, before she had married, when she and Grace had been the closest of friends.

"You must tell me all about your engagement," Ellen said, helping Grace out of her travelling cloak. "You are very lucky."

Right now, Grace did not feel lucky at all. She shrugged. "It is is not a love match."

"Love matches are often a great deal of trouble." Ellen started undoing the buttons at the back of Grace's dress. "What I mean, dear, is that he is a nice-looking young man with a not inconsiderable fortune, and that at your stage in life you could do very worse indeed."

"Yes," said Grace. "At my age, I could continue unmarried. I must console myself with that."

"You sound bitter." Ellen looked perplexed. "I should think you, of all of us, Grace, would not be too proud to be thankful for your situation."