29

The basin filled with alarming speed. Piper, Jason, Alex and Percy pounded on the walls, looking for an exit, but they found nothing . They climbed into the alcoves to gain some height, but with water pouring out of each niche, it was like trying to balance at the edge of a waterfall. Even as Piper stood in a niche, the water was soon up to her knees. From the floor, it was probably eight feet deep and rising fast.

"I could try lightning," Jason said. "Maybe blast a hole in the roof?"

"That could bring down the whole room and crush us," Piper said.

"Or electrocute us," Percy added.

"I am not dying because of oil or getting fried" Alex grumbled.

"Not many choices," Jason said.

"Allie- we should search the bottom," Percy said. 

"You're right. If this place was built as a fountain, there has to be a way to drain the thing. You guys, check the niches for secret exits. Maybe the seashells are knobs, or something." It was a desperate idea, but Alex was glad for something to do.

Percy jumped in the water and Alex followed. Immediately Alex felt that it was different than water. It was thicker definitely and it was as if it was trying to suffocate her. She felt her strength draining and soon she couldn't breathe. 

Alex made her way to the surface where Jason helped her up into a niche.

Percy broke the surface too, gasping and flailing. Piper offered her hand, and he almost pulled her in before she could help him up.

"Couldn't breathe," he choked. 

"The water isn't normal. Hardly made it back." Alex explained.

The life force of the nymphs, Alex thought. It was so poisoned and malicious, even a daughter of the sea god couldn't control it.

They moved sluggishly. Jason's face was pale. He seemed to be having trouble holding his sword. Percy was drenched and shivering, so was Alex but she tried for a small smile, but instead let out a whimper. She was feeling colder than she had ever, and desperately missed Leo. 

"They're taking our power," Piper said. "Draining us."

"No shit, Sherlock" Alex coughed.

"Jason," Percy coughed, "do the lightning."

Jason raised his sword. The room rumbled, but no lightning appeared. The roof didn't break. Instead, a miniature rainstorm formed at the top of the chamber. Rain poured down, filling the fountain even faster, but it wasn't normal rain. The stuff was just as dark as the water in the pool. Every drop stung Alex's skin.

"Not what I wanted," Jason said.

The water was up to their necks now. 

Percy was making ridiculous hand gestures in an attempt to control the water, which obviously wasn't working. 

"Percy, it's not gonna work" Alex wanted to curl up and drown, maybe giving up would be better.

 "Can't-can't control it!"

"We can't fight this," Piper spoke up suddenly. "If we hold back, that just makes us weaker."

"What do you mean?" Jason shouted over the rain.

The water was up to their chins. Another few inches, and they'd have to swim. But the water wasn't halfway to the ceiling yet. 

"The horn of plenty,"Piper explained. "We have to overwhelm the nymphs with fresh water, give them more than they can use. If we can dilute this poisonous stuff-"