chapter 10

As we walked into the lounge we saw about 8 people sitting around a table. I noticed Luke at the head of it with 7 other people around. They must be the other interns.

"Hi good morning everyone" said Rina.

Luke immediately responded " good morning Carina. You made it right on time." The other interns looked at her and said nothing.

How rude.

She turned around and told me to go sit on the couch. That's when they all noticed me.

"Oh Alayna I didn't see you there. Good morning. How are you feeling?" said Luke.

"Hi a bit better." I kept it short and sweet because everyone was still looking at me.

I moved to sit on the couch.

I was able to listen in on their morning meeting which was kind of cool. After 30 minutes everyone was dismissed except for my sister. As everyone left, Luke and Ri both made their way to me.

Before Ri could speak, Luke interrupted her. "Hi Alayna. How are you actually feeling? as he came over with a thermometer.

"I'm feeling much better than yesterday but not 100% yet." I said and looked up to him with a tired face.

He sat next to me and took my temperature.

As he took it out, his eyebrows furrowed. "Hmm. It seems you still have a bit of a fever. Is there anything else bothering you?"

I shook my head no. "Okay then sweetheart. Now your sister and I are going to do rounds. How about you lay down and take a rest. If you need anything just ask one of the nurses to page your sister or any of the attendings you know. We'd be happy to help."

Why was he being so nice? Didn't he just make my sister cry?

I nodded my head. "Thank you."

"No problem." Ri kissed my forehead and whispered to feel better and she loved me. Before the left I called out to Dr. Hemmings.

"Wait"

They both turned around. I looked to Dr. Hemmings. "Why are you being so nice to me after I yelled at you yesterday?"

He looked down and back to me.

"Because everything you said was right. I shouldn't have made a decision without listening to both sides. Your sister told me why she didn't report to me immediately and it was because another attending needed her assistance in the ER. You were completely right and I apologize."

My sister and I both look at him shocked. "Thank you & no need to apologize." I gave him a small smile.

But not as big as the one my sister gave him.

Hmm maybe they're warming up to each other.