18°

"There." Adam pointed out. "The kind of fury you're feeling right now is the same I'm feeling. Over the months, I have learned to understand my client's emotional trauma. She's a victim and yet she was made to look like the villain. Back to the story; after he cheated on her—"

"Do we really have to talk about this now?" Yusuf massaged his forehead. "It's surprising how the first thing we're talking about after meeting or the first time in months, is this."

"It's also surprising how apathetic you are regarding this." He retorted.

"Trust me, Adam, these things do bother me as well and that's why I try as much as possible to avoid the topics." Yusuf heaved a sigh. "Alright, what else did your client's husband do to her?"

"Ex-husband." Adam corrected.

"Right. Ex. What else did he do?"

"After he cheated and she forgave him, he took in a second wife. She didn't create a fuss about it, because as a Muslim, she knew he had the right."

"Let me guess, he favored the new wife over the old one."

"Exactly. Again, she endured the injustice because she was told to always have patience, as it is the virtue of all women. Things got out of hand when he began to hit her for the slightest mistake. She decided enough was enough when she had a miscarriage after he beat her to a pulp. I'm glad that in the end, she got the justice she deserves. The horrible man is now out of her life and rotting in jail."

"That's a relief. You did a good job. I'm so proud of the kind of lawyer you've turned out to be." Right from when they were still in school, Yusuf knew his friend would never turn out to be a corrupt lawyer. He had always had people's interest at heart—a people's person. It was one of the traits Yusuf greatly admired about his friend.

"Thank you." Adam picked up the polythene bag he had kept on the bed and handed it to Yusuf. "Here is what I brought for you."

"What's inside?" He raised the bag. "I didn't think you'd take my words seriously."

"If you're so curious, why don't you open it and see for yourself?"

At the sight of his favorite cologne, Yusuf's eyes dilated in delight. "Thanks, man. I appreciate this."

"I knew you would. Now, tell me, where is the girl who has stolen your heart?" He wiggled a brow.

At the mention of that, a smile curled up Yusuf's face. "Larai."

"What?" Adam's expression morphed into incomprehension. 

"Her name's Larai. I think I have mentioned that to you before."

"Oh! Where is she? I want to meet her."

"She should be in her room."

"Her room, huh? She already has a room?"

"Of course." Yusuf sneered. "Do you expect her to sleep in the parlor? The guestroom is where she's staying."

"That's about to change soon though." A mischievous grin etched Adam's face.

"What are you talking about?" The corner of Yusuf's lips quirked.

"Soon, she won't have to stay in the guestroom anymore. Come on, tell me, when is the wedding?"

"Hey!" Yusuf chuckled. "Don't get ahead of your shadow. My family doesn't even know I love her yet."

"Woah! So they actually think she's just a girl you decided to help? What are you waiting for? Why haven't you told them already? Is there something you're not telling me?"