12 | The Gift of Water

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Twelve
THE GIFT OF WATER
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter TwelveTHE GIFT OF WATER└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

"So you think you want to camp here, then?" Finnick asks.

"I don't think that's an option," Peeta answers. "Staying here. With no water. No protetion. I feel all right, really. If we could just go slowly."

"Slowly would be better than not at all." I say as Finnick helps Peeta to his feets and Katniss pulls herself together.

I check over my weapons, which I know are in perect condition, because it makes me seems more in control. "I'll take the lead," Katniss announces.

Peeta starts to object but Finnick cuts him off. "No, let her do it." He frowns at her. "You knew that force feild was there, didn't you? Right at the last second? You started to give a warning." She nods her head. "How did you know?"

I see her hesitate, thinking back to that day in training when me and her were with Beetee and Wiress and how they taught us the trick of recognizing the force field. I don't know if the Gamemakers made note of that moment during training when two pointed out of us or not. One way or the other, we have a very valuable piece of information. And if they know we have it, they might do something to alter the force field so we can't see the aberration anymore. So Katniss lies. "I don't know. It's almost as if I could hear it. Listen." We all become still. There's the sound of insects, birds, the breeze in the foliage.

"I don't hear anything," says Peeta.

"Yes," she insists, "It's like when the fence around District Twelve is on, only much, much quieter." Everyone listens again intently. I do, too, although there's nothing to hear. "There!" she says. "Can't you hear it? It's coming from right where Peeta got shocked."

"I don't hear it either," says Finnick. "But if you do, by all means take the lead."

She decides to play this for all itt's worth. "That's weird," she says. She turns her head from side to side as if puzzled. "I can only hear it out of my left ear."

"The ones the doctors reconstructed?" asks Peeta.

"Yeah," she says, then gives a shrug. "Maybe they did a better job than they thought. You know, sometimes I do hear funny things on that side. Things you wouldn't ordinarily think have a sound. Like insect wings. Or snow hitting the ground."

I look at Katniss amused. That's a pretty good cover story, that will cause all the blame to the surgeons instead of her. She's smart, I'll give her that.

"You," says Mags, nudging Katniss forward, so she takes the lead. Since we're moving so slowly, Mags prefers to walk with the aid of a branch Finnick quickly fashions into a cane for her. He makes a staff for Peeta as well, which is good becasue I think Peeta really wants to lie down. Finnick brings up the rear, with me right in front of him.