The Dinner Party Experiment

How the hell am I supposed to fix my mom and dad's relationship? Thinking. What will I do if I don't get the new opening at the university? Thinking. What if they choose to not even open the position? Thinking.

Ugh, meditation is hard.

Did I forget to buy bell pepper for tonight's dinner party? Thinking.

I open my eyes with a sigh. When I first returned to Pasadena, I found myself in a high that seemed too good to be true. Kissing the man of my dreams, prospects of the job of my dreams, living the life of my dreams ... turns out it probably was too good to be true. The last few weeks have been filled with stressful shifts at the Cheesecake Factory and soul-clenching peace talks between mom and dad. This has taken a toll on my mood and every notion of a positive future which, not that long ago, seemed inevitable. But, mustn't play the victim. The only reason I haven't sunken completely into an abyss of self-pity and negativity is because of Raj. He told me to try meditating to calm my mind and help me dig back up my "spirited and positive adaptability" that he so admires and enjoys. Just now, I've been trying "labelling" - the act of labelling thoughts that enter my mind when I otherwise attempt to focus on my breathing. Apparently, these thoughts are my mind's natural way of de-stressing - but boy, do they stress.

Well, I gave it my best shot, and I have a dinner party to prepare for. Having played the negotiator between my mom (who, btw, still frequents my apartment) and my dad, I think it's time for them to finally meet again to figure this out once and for all. Raj begged me to let him do a Mystery type dinner in which he would "lead my parents back together" "without them even noticing". I like the dude but I'm not sure even he could pull that off. Still, if all else fails ...

I didn't mean to invite the whole gang, but when Penny found out that it would just be us and my parents, her eyes widened, and she immediately invited Leonard, who invited Sheldon, who ... damn these friends of mine, shying away from even the slightest prospect of conflict.

There is a knock at the door, and I go to open it. Heart fluttering, I see Raj standing there with his heart-melting smile and a bag full of kitchen utensils. We share a sweet kiss before I let him in.
"You know, we have cooking supplies," I tell him, smirking as I cross my arms.
"Lucille. When I cook, I do it right," he says as he turns to me with a cocky look in his eyes. I throw my arms up in defeat, just thankful that he wants to help me prepare dinner. As he unpacks his bag, I sneak up to hug him from behind, gently kissing his neck.
"Please tell me you brought your lavender apron," I whisper into his ear, and I see a smile forming on his lips.
"Oh, Lucille, if it were just us, I would be wearing nothing but the lavender apron," he jokes as he turns around to face me. I giggle as I let my lips find his once more, his inherent warmth taking over my body and mind. I can't stop thinking about when it's time for us to take the next step. But with my mood and energy nosediving lately, it just hasn't felt right. I snuggle into Raj's chest, and he kisses the top of my head as he gently strokes my hair.
"Lucille ..." he then says. "You know, you don't have to do this,"
"Do what?" I ask, keeping my head on his chest.
"You don't have to fix things between your mom and dad. It's not your job," he says, comfort and concern discernable in his voice. I sigh.
"If I don't do it, nobody will," I say as I loosen myself from his grasp, turning away from him.
"Then nobody will. It's still not your job," Raj says as he puts his hand on my shoulder, and I find myself shaking it away.
"Just let it go, Raj, please. Or I'll cook the dinner myself," I say, not looking at him. I instantly regret lashing out at him. He doesn't deserve it. Sigh. I'll go take a shower.

It's now 5 pm, and nobody has arrived except my mother. I suppose they're all waiting until the last minute to avoid being dragged into the uncomfortable position of having to pick a side. Finally, my dad and Leonard arrive. Leonard was nice enough to pick him up at the airport but when they enter, Leonard immediately shoots me a glance telling me that I owe him big time. I'm guessing dad has been arguing his case since the moment he stepped into the car. When my dad sees my mom, he stiffens. Not taking his eyes away from her, he slowly moves into the apartment. My mom follows his movement, ensuring that the same distance is kept at all times. They're like animals waiting to attack.
"Okay! Would anyone like a glass of wine?" I ask, trying to diffuse the tension.
"Yes please!" Penny's voice answers. When did she come in?