Chapter Four

"I think we should hang this over here." I suggested, holding up a frame for Aman to see. The background was dark grey with intricate white markings that swirled to form a beautiful smoke-like design.

"Sure." Aman collected the wall art from me and hung it above the couch that sat beside the wall. It was perfect there.

"Did you forget to order the flower vases?" I asked him.

"They must be here somewhere." Aman checked the different boxes and brought out several vases. We kept some at the corners of the living room and the others on the wall shelves.

"This burner..." Aman started and I looked at the incense burner in his hand.

"I brought it from home. We can keep it on the wall shelf and leave it permanently plugged in to the socket." I said.

"Alright."

After hours of trying to put our home in order, we finished and decided to get some food.

"Baby, what would you like to eat?" I asked Aman.

"We're both tired from putting the house in order so it'll be unfair to stress you out the more. I'll order some biryani from Spice6." Aman said. Before I could protest, he called the restaurant to place the order.

To others, it may seem like the barest minimum but to me it was everything. It wasn't everyday women got blessed with understanding men as husbands.

"Thank you." I whispered.

***

"The biryani was amazing!" I said to Aman. I wished he had ordered three or four plates instead of two. I took a bite off the barbecue wings we ordered alongside the biryani and moaned in delight.

"You do know you're a big foodie right?" Aman chuckled, feeding me a piece of the wings.

"Not my fault habibi. I'm eating for two." Aman burst out laughing before my statement registered in his head. He paused and looked at me and I smirked.

"What did you just say?" he asked me.

"I haven't seen my period. I'm not sure yet but my period is five days late." I answered.

"You know what? We're going to the hospital immediately." Aman got up and picked up his phone to call an uber. We didn't have a car yet but he was going to get one the next week.

"Hey! I could be pregnant with food, not a baby." I pouted. I wasn't a fan of hospitals. The smell made me nauseous.

"I don't care what you say. We need to know if you're pregnant. I do not want my wife or my baby to be stressed." he sounded so serious and I released my pout.

"Okay." I said in a tiny voice.

The uber pulled up in our driveway and Aman helped me into it.

When we got to the hospital, Aman called for an emergency appointment.

"Aman!" I facepalmed.

He picked me up bridal style and took me into the waiting area. Soon after, a doctor called to see us. Aman was going to carry me again but I stopped him.

"You do realize I'm fine right? Please stop being dramatic."

"You're possibly pregnant and I cannot let you..."

"I understand your concern Aman, but please."

"Okay." He pouted. I was close to laughing at his facial expression but I held it in.

We saw the doctor and took a blood test. It came out positive and Aman was elated.

     "Do you know what that means?" Aman asked me as we walked out of the hospital to the uber he ordered to take us home.

     "It means we'll be parents soon." I rolled my eyes.

     "No dumbo! It means you aren't allowed to do any house chores." Aman opened the door for me and I took a seat in the back.

     "I'll like to see you try to stop me." I chuckled.

     "Ooouuu! I like me a challenge." Aman began to tickle me and I laughed hysterically. From the side of my eyes, I could see the uber driver smiling at us.

     "St-stop it Aman!" I pushed him off of me and sat up straight, trying to catch my breath.

     "Are you going to do any house chores?" Aman asked, grinning devilishly.

     "Yes of course!" I answered. It was a big mistake because Aman began to tickle me again.

     "Ya Allah! Please stop it Aman. I'm going to throw up on you if you don't stop." I threatened him.

     "Eww eww! I'm sorry."

     I stuck out my tongue at him before resting my head on his shoulder. He pulled me in closer to him and planted a soft kiss on my forehead before whispering a 'thank you'.

     "I can't wait to have little Amans running around the house." I said.

     "Little Aishas you mean."

     "Little Amans."

     "Little Aishas and Amans. Whichever one Allah gives us, habibti."

     "I want a little Aman so that I can give him all my attention and make you jealous." I said, then winked when I caught a frown on Aman's face.

     "I hope we get a mini Aisha so that I'll spoil her and make you jealous."

     "You're so cute when you frown." I teased, pulling his cheeks.

     "Do you know what else is cute?" The uber driver asked.

     "What is?" Aman and I asked simultaneously, then burst out laughing because we said the same thing at the same time.

     "You. You both are so cute. You make me want to fall in love. Your love is so beautiful and I hope it stays like this forever."

     Aman and I were quiet for a while before Aman spoke up. "By God's grace, our love will only grow stronger."

     I looked into the eyes of the man I was married to and saw the truth behind them. The love he had for me was true and I wouldn't trade it for anything.