Chapter Fourteen

"Bastard!" Anthony exclaimed as he pulled Daphne away from Simon swiftly following with a right hook against Simon's face. The pair completely taken surprise as Simon landed on the floor meanwhile Daphne screamed in horror looking between her brother and the duke. Elizabeth was stunned staring as Anthony took another shot at Simon's face.

"Anthony!" She shouted as she shook off her frozen state and ran between the men. Anthony eyes harden meeting hers as he dropped his fist.

"You will marry her!" He pointed; he had not yet looked at his sister.

"What!" Daphne shook.

"Immediately" He continued composing himself staring down at Simon as Elizabeth helped him up. "We can only hope no one saw you take such liberties, and my sister is saved further mortification. You will marry her!"

"Brother" Daphne pleaded but it was no use.

There was a silence that filled the air making Elizabeth wish to quite literally be anywhere else. "I cannot" Simon whispered.

Elizabeth's heart broke as she watched Daphne's shatter.

"You have defiled her innocence and now you refuse her hand?!" Anthony accused getting in Simon's face. "I knew you were a rake Hastings, but I never thought you a villain"

"I cannot marry her" was all Simon said.

Elizabeth could not bear to see Daphne like this anymore as she her pulled silently into an embrace.

"Then you leave me no choice" Her heart's sank at his words, Praying Anthony would not do what she feared. "I demand satisfaction."

"A duel? Anthony you can't" Daphne stepped forward.

"He dishonours you sister. You and the very Bridgerton name!"

Elizabeth felt a sting in the back of her throat, had he not nearly done the same to her? He had not cared for her reputation. He only cared for his own, she nearly scoffed at the thought. Of course, she had allowed herself to get caught up in the moment.

He continued but she felt so empty that she phased out his voice and stared at the dirt upon her shoe. 

The man was not only a rake but also a hypocrite as she had soon learned.

She shook her head at the stupidity of this whole situation, her aunt had joked many of times that men did not think with their heads but with another body part completely. Elizabeth had never quite understood until now.  She was done with Simon's stupidity to not marry and risk death, with Anthony brash thinking and with her own head.

"I think its best we leave before anyone else may see." Anthony huffed as she brought herself back to reality. "Sister? Elizabeth?" He had finally looked at her.

Anger boiled up within as she blankly stared at him. "Daphne if you need comfort, please send word and I'll there." She whispered not breaking eye contact with him.

She turned on her heels and walked away from the three. "Simon" She called too angry to even wait for him.

____________________________________

It was near to three in the morning and Elizabeth had not slept a wink. She had fought with Simon until her aunt found them and went home. She had hoped. No prayed, that she could somehow convince Simon to marry Daphne. He had not yet provided a reason to his objection which led her to nearly kick him in the groin.

She had sat at the bay window of her bedroom that overlooked Grover square. Elizabeth had also hoped Daphne may have contacted her so they can plan how to stop this duel.

Elizabeth looked down to see Anthony Bridgerton staring at her aunt's house, squinting up at the window with a frustrated frown. She opened her window.

"My Lord?!" She whispered getting his attention.

"Thank god! I was too scared to throw a rock at the window, it could have been your aunts' room" he sighed in relief.

Elizabeth tuned away from the window to control her smile, she never imagined the viscount to fear anyone. Let alone her aunt.  "Meet me out back. Use the side gate."

She quickly jumped up and grabbed a dressing gown to cover her night gown before sneaking downstairs and out to the garden.

"I had to see you. I -" She shushed him before grabbing his hand and lead the pair to a bench under a high willow tree that was completely canopied the bench allowing privacy.

She dropped his hand like it had burnt her before sitting down. "What do you want my lord?" she asked blankly.

"I had to see you" He repeated himself sitting beside Elizabeth. The pair sat in silence as the wind blew through the willow tree. She closed her eyes to take in the sound once more a gush of wind blew past them. She smiled as the sensation reminded her of home.

Anthony had sat silently watching. He could not help himself as he tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. She sighed as he cupped her cheek gently. That simple gesture—his warm hand cupping Elizabeth's cheek—melted her to the ground. Dissolved her into nothing more than water. He had that power over her. "You had to see me?" she leaned her face into his palm. Just for a heartbeat. That was all she allowed herself.

"I don't know if I will make it out alive later. I needed to see your face just once more" The statement broke her trance as she jerked her head away from him and stood.

"You can't truly be thinking of going through with this?" She looked down at him in anger.

"of course I am, it's a matter of reputation for my sister and my family" he stood up to face her directly. "He defiled her innocence and refused her hand. No respectful gentlemen would do that"

She scoffed. "Hypocrite" she muttered before turning away to walk back to the house but was stopped by Anthony grabbing her hand.

"Excuse me?" his jaw harden.

"You heard me sir, you are a hypocrite." she spat.

"Daphne is my sister! I will not allow this." He stated. Elizabeth took a step forward yanking her hand from his grip.

"Oh okay, so what am I?" She crossed her arms. "Some common whore? Did you not do the same to me?"

"That's not the same" He stuttered.

"No? it's not? How so my lord"

Anthony grabbed her face with two hands, their faces inches apart. Close enough to share breathe. Close enough to kiss. "Elizabeth how can you not see?" His thumb ran across her bottom lip as she shivered.

"See what?" She whispered.

"I have every intention to make you mine." His hands slid down her body to her waist holding her in place. "Only mine" he grounded out pulling her closer.

She was lost for words, remained there frozen.

"No one saw us, So I will wait till you feel the same." he leaned his head against hers. "And you will."

"I- uh" She was struck, had no words to say.

"I must go" He whispered before kissing her forehead. The kiss burned her skins reminding her of his touch, she closed her eyes and tried to breathe.

"You should go inside." She nodded still unable to speak.

Her heart was in her throat and her eyes squeezed shut. After a couple seconds, Elizabeth opened her eyes to see him walking away.

She stood there, frozen.