01

CECILIA ADAMS

i've been staring at my breakfast for way too long. i had a rough night, at around 2am i got a call from summer heights police department saying i need to come and pick up my dad from the police station with bail money.

as much as i wanted to say no officer, leave him there, he can rot there, i can't. he's my dad and i know that deep down, besides all the alcohol and the drugs and abuse that he loves me. or i hope he does, and if i didn't he probably would've gave me a massive beating when he comes out.

this is the 2nd time this month that he's been arrested and i'm sick of it. i'm sick of using up my money that i earn for college to bail him out.

my dad is on the couch, drooling and snoring like he's fighting godzilla in his dream. i can't deal with this anymore i think to myself as i stare at my miserable, abusive father passed out.

i shake my thoughts and put my full bowl of cereal in the sink. i'll clean it when i get back because as if my dads going to do the dishes. funny joke.

it's a monday today and i spent saturday going to the library with my friend mandy and sunday at this local cafe. i go there often to study or just get my mind off things and i'm always seeing people from my school there.

especially samuel o'connell who i shouldn't waste a second of my mind on. sure we have history together and sure i spent every second of my childhood with him but that's all in the past now. he doesn't care about me.

i enter the school hallways with a stack of books in my arms and my usual smile as i approach my locker. samuel and his whole group of friends are all hanging out with a whole group of girls. i stand there patiently trying to get there attention.

"excuse me." i say smiling. "you're on my locker."

they all turn to face me. "okay?" samuel says.

"and i need to get my books."

"get them later." he says pausing in between each word in a i'm busy tone.

why? i literally don't understand him.

"can you please move, i need my books." i tell him.

he rolls his eyes and moves. "whiny bitch."

i ignore his remark and get what i need from my locker and put books back. i close my locker and turn around to see everyone still there staring at me.

"you better wipe that bitchy smile off your face you slut." a girl who i don't even know comments.

i suddenly laugh, she looks so stupid it's so funny. so angry and for what?

"why the fuck are you laughing?" nathan, sams friend questions.

"i told you, she's a crazy bitch." sam mutters glaring at me.

"y'all are so obsessed." i laugh to myself and walk away.

"the fuck that's supposed to mean." sam asks getting defensive. i turn around.

"i mean, y'all. are. so. obsessed." i repeat. "i didn't stutter."

i walk away still laughing. i'm actually dying it's so funny when they pick on me because they have so much anger in them that it's funny.

***

"CECILIA ADAMS!" a deep voice calls in the cafeteria as i'm sitting with my friends, mandy, gigi and mariam as we are talking about having a sleepover on friday. we all turn to the voice and then to me.

joshua levi. he's been my friend for a while now and he LOVES causing scenes.

"what now?" i mutter under my breath. he approaches me with a rose in his hand and kneels down very dramatically. i'm so embarrassed.

i hate being the centre of attention so much. it makes me uncomfortable.

"will you go to prom with me?"

i turn to my friends who are squealing dramatically. i don't want to go to prom. i went freshmen year and junior year, why do i need to go this year?

they're nodding at me to say yes. i turn back, roll my eyes jokingly and remark, "yes."

everyone claps and cheers as he pulls me in a hug and hands me the rose. he's cute, but i'm not attracted to him in any way and i know he's not either to me.

i'm probably just a second choice but i don't mind because i know he's not doing it to humiliate me. he would never do that.

as i'm grinning from ear-to-ear i see samuel with his group of friends from the corner of my eye, glaring at me and josh.

i look away just as i meet his death-filled eyes and pretend like he's not there.