Forty Fourth: Sherlock's POV

Sherlock's POV

I invited over John and Mary; they brought along their daughter, which was a good choice (Mrs. Hudson loves children). They'll comfort Mrs. Hudson while the police do their thing, and I have time to figure out how to help Mickey. Bail is probably a big component in the Plan.

Lestrade walks after the paramedics as they wheel out Moriarty. I see his hand twitch, to which I frown. "Make sure he doesn't escape again," I say to the Detective Inspector.

He chuckles forcefully. "Will do." I close the door behind everyone as they leave, relieved that that's over and that Mrs. Hudson is safe.

A moment passes before Mary asks, "Where's Mickey?"

I glance over at Mrs. Hudson, who looks up at me from playing with the baby.

"She was sent to the juvenile detention center in Belmarsh," I confess. John looks shocked.

Before he speaks, I hold out my hand so he stops. "She took the blame for me when I shot one of Moriarty's men. I assume we can get her out on bail."

"And who's going to pay for that?" Mrs. Hudson asks shrilly. "I knew you shouldn't have let her run off like that with that gun."

"Well, you didn't do anything to help, either!"

"What could I have done? I'm old; I had just found out that the man you shot was looking to shoot me," she says breathlessly. Then she sighs, bouncing the oblivious baby on her lap despite the very un-playful atmosphere. "All you two do is try to protect each other. Things shouldn't be going on where you need to be protected, especially from the law."

"She didn't have to do it, you know," I try to defend myself. "I'm not the only one to blame."

"I can't exactly yell at her right now, though, can I." It isn't said like a question, and I scowl.

Maybe Mycroft can help with the funds. Immediately, I shake my head and begin to pace. Then I step over the coffee table to lay down on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. Faint voices speak around me, and I close my eyes, blocking them out.

In my mind palace, I stand in front of an empty jail cell. The lighting is dim, but I can make out a figure at the end of the row of cells; it's Mickey.

She runs off to her left, and I jog after her. When I look around the corner, I'm suddenly at Scotland Yard. The lighting is dim here, too, and I see that Lestrade's office is open. She's leading me somewhere.

Eager for more, I walk over to his open door, seeing the silhouette of Her through the window. It runs off to the right and as I enter the office, I see that I'm in front of 221B. John and Mary push full boxes into the back of their new car - this is when they were moving out.

"Where is this going?" I ask, glancing around for Mickey. She isn't there, but I notice that Mary can see me. The woman smiles and gestures for me to follow her. We walk down the street, and the buildings morph into dark figures on either side of me. It begins to look a little ominous, but I realize it's because this isn't a definite location; this is an area my small imagination has to create on its own.

Mary stops outside of a door and knocks. Nothing happens, and I feel everything freeze as I recount all of what has led up to this. These are the people that can help: Lestrade, John, Mary, and whoever is behind that door.

My eyes open quickly, and I look over at Mary. Her face glows as she laughs at something John said. How can she help?

"Sherlock?" John's voice pulls me out of my daze. "Are you alright? I punched the last man that looked at my wife like that," he says warningly. I give him a fake smile; the women chuckle.