Chapter 20: Darkness

"Alexios!" Athena exclaimed when she saw her brother descend toward us on a wave of water, with Poseidon's trident in hand. The scarf I'd tied around his knife wound was still tied tightly around his abdomen, stained with old blood.

My heart which was racing from the battle before was now flooding with a sense of relief, calming down into a softer rhythm. He was alive. He survived. 

"Son?" King Theon came out of the circle of protection that we'd created around him -- though not for him -- when we tried to protect ourselves from Typhon's undead, lava scorching creatures. He was no longer shaking in fear as he was a moment ago when they swarmed us. Now he looked relieved to see them all gone. 

He looked at Alexios with pride. "I knew you would survive. You are my son after all." Athena rolled her eyes. "And you found the trident! Good. You may give it to me now."

Alexios's grip around the trident tightened. "Poseidon has entrusted it to me only. I cannot let anyone else use its powers."

King Theon pursed his lips.

"Poseidon?" Medusa peeked her head over my shoulder. "You saw him?"

"I heard his voice in the sea. It guided me toward the trident and warned me of Typhon's return. I came here as soon as I could --"

Typhon roared in anger and made everyone remember that although his creatures were all washed away, he was still here, undefeated. He flicked Nephos who'd been attacking him mercilessly off with one of his snake tails. Nephos fell to the ground, breaking rocks and making them fly up when his heavy body landed on them with impossible force. He then laid limp, with his eyes closed.

"Nephos!" I cried out and ran to him, but mother pulled me back. 

"He is all right. Just unconscious. There is nothing you can do for him now. You will only bring yourself closer to Typhon and I will not let you do that," she said. 

"Where is Poseidon?" Typhon growled and hissed. "I sensed his presence on the island. Lead me to him and I will spare your worthless human lives."

King Theon started to shake again. He hid behind Alexios this time. "Tell him, Alexios. I can't die yet. I have too much planned for my life."

Alexios shook his head. "I don't know where he is. I only heard his voice in the water. He could be in the sea, but that is only my guess."

"A mere guess will not do. Prepare to die today, humans," Typhon hissed.

Panicked, King Theon screeched and gripped the shaft of the trident and tried to pull it out of Alexios's hand. "Give it to me! I need it more than you do."

As he pulled on it with more force, the trident started to glow and then it repelled the king with a force so strong that he flew into the black smoke that covered the sky above us. He fell a second later, right on top of Nephos who was still unconscious on the rocky ground. 

Typhon suddenly roared with laughter, releasing hisses in between each strangled sound that came out of his monstrous throat. "I will spare that coward. He has amused me. As for the rest of you..." Fast as lighting, three of his thick snake tails whipped across the beach and knocked everyone off their feet. "You first."

Athena screamed as Typhon's tail wrapped around her like a python and lifted her body off the ground. At the same time, clumps of smoke appeared from beneath us and more undead scorchers were created, running toward us with their arms outstretched. 

"Athena!" I watched as Typhon brought her closer toward the open mouth of one of his dragon heads. She struggled to break free from his hold. Her arms and legs were all inside the snake tail along with her sword. I took a step forward.