Chapter Five

Nolan pressed up against Ashelin's naked back, and she hummed internally at the feel of his steel length through his pants. She knew she affected him, especially when he'd snapped at her not to look him in the eyes, but feeling the evidence digging into the small of her back was something else.

Especially because nothing with this man was accidental. He'd put it there not because he couldn't help it—he'd put it there for a reason, and whether it was to taunt her or scare her or warn her...in any case, it tightened her core, her silken walls clutching at nothing.

Desperate for the weapon of mass destruction behind her.

"I think it's both." His empty hand slipped lower. "Fear and pain. The fact that I could snap your pretty neck in two at any moment."

She tilted her head back in anticipation, his words thrumming against her in a deep vibrato as his fingers came closer and closer to her greedy pussy. She gasped when he reached it, but instead of sliding between her folds he parted them viciously, exposing her swollen clit to the cool air.

Ashelin twisted in shock, but she couldn't go far without choking herself.

"The fact that I could keep you alive and torture you for as long as I fucking please," he continued, and lowered his other hand.

In the haze of her arousal, she didn't realize what he was about to do until it was too late—though it wasn't as if she could do anything about it.

The icy spray hit her clit a split second later, and a shriek tore its way out of her throat at a pitch she'd never hit in her life. It hurt, it fucking hurt so deliciously, she wanted it to stop but never end at the same time.

She'd plunged beyond subspace at this point, somewhere deeper, somewhere dangerous, real danger, the place she'd always chased, always longed for. He had her, body and mind and soul, and she never wanted to be free again.

He dropped the hose, and her poor bundle of nerves burned in the aftershocks, especially because he continued holding her folds apart, exposing the wet flesh to the cool air.

"Are you a spy?" he growled into her ear, his breath hot.

She moaned, thighs quivering as she fought to keep from squeezing them together. Instinctually she knew this would be a bad idea, that he had her how he wanted her to stay. "No," she breathed.

Pain exploded between her legs, and from the sound of the slap she realized he'd smacked her clit outright with his strong hand. "Are you a spy?" he demanded.

"No!" she screamed, and he slapped her again, and her head fell back against him, her entire body singing, lost in waves of pleasure pain and freezing heat, heady fear and the thrum of something along every vein in her body that she couldn't describe other than pure unadulterated peace.

Nolan moaned in her ear, and then bit it off with a growl, jerking away from her as if she'd burned him.

Ashelin slumped, but blocking her airways quickly reminded her that she needed to support her own weight, and she pressed her legs together so she wouldn't have to be up on her toes. She breathed through the aftershocks of her orgasm, clit pulsing as she squeezed her thighs.

The alpha's breaths were heavy behind her.

He liked it, she knew. She was sure that if he'd given into baser instincts then he would be inside her right now, but he was too controlled for that.

She couldn't help but puff her feathers a bit that she'd managed to affect him so much. She needed to get under his skin and stay there for her to be able to complete her mission. As he caught his breath behind her, she struggled to center herself, to come down from the insane high she'd just ridden.