Chapter 10

TW in the description
Thank you to _Chooarts_ for the amazing image!

Giulia POV

The crimson red fabric draped over Giulia, accentuating her figure. She smiled. She had really outdone herself. She left the house, not paying attention to her brother or Luca as she raced to the hospital.

Massimo had received a call earlier that day that some of Luca's paperwork needed to be picked up. Giulia had eagerly volunteered for the job. She smiled as she walked, but not in a silly schoolgirl-type way. Doctor Mattias was older, and even though he joked around, very mature. You didn't go through medical school by not taking things very seriously.

Somehow, because of his maturity, it made her drop some of the childlike bubbliness that usually accompanied her personality. She didn't want to be seen as a child but as the woman she was.

Giulia skipped up the steps to the hospital and entered through the sliding glass doors. A beep went off as she walked in. The hospital was almost empty—some of the halls were dark. Giulia peeked at the vacant secretary desk, wondering if anybody was there. Then footsteps sounded from one of the hallways, and she turned to see a familiar white doctor's coat approaching.

"Good evening Miss Giulia," Mattias said formally. "Did Massimo send you?"

"Yes. He said you had some paperwork for Luca?" She asked.

His long curly brown hair draped gently on his shoulders. A sharp jawline had the beginnings of stubble showing over his tan skin.

As he approached, she caught his eyes scan over her form for the briefest moment. Then he corrected himself.

"Yes, of course, right this way." He said, gesturing to an office room just behind the greeting desk.

It was a small well lit room and overstuffed. Binders and papers stacked on metal shelves to the ceiling, barely leaving room for a small computer desk and chair.

"Ah. Here it is." He said, handing her a small stack.

"Thank you. You know - Luca really appreciated your help. Not many doctors would even attempt work on a Sireno."

"It's just my job." He said, flashing an incredible smile.

"What made you interested in studying them?" She asked, wanting to talk longer.

"Well - I'd have to say it was the story of your two friends. When I heard about them and how this town accepted them, I knew I had to see for myself. Then, when I witnessed a Sireni transformation for the first time - well, you could say I was hooked."

"So you knew Luca before the surgery?"

"Just in the papers. When I realized who was in my hospital on the night of the raid, it almost felt like meeting a celebrity." He said, smiling. "I only wish it was under better circumstances."

"Alberto is also very grateful to you, but he'd never admit it," Giulia said with a smirk.

"Ah yes," Mattias said, remembering. Alberto never left Luca's side. "Has he finally - uh," he struggled for the correct term, "Made his feelings known?"

Giulia rolled her eyes. "No. It seems everyone knows how they feel except them."

Mattias laughed. "Well, that's usually how it goes. But I'm afraid I have some work to get to."

"I'd really like to know what else you've learned about the Sireni!" Giulia said in a pleading voice. She just wanted to keep talking to him.

"Some other time, maybe." He looked at his watch. "But I am late for an appointment."