Epilogue

Nolan

I rubbed my hands down my slacks. Mom and Dad had planned a surprise party for Gracie, but I took it one step further with their help. I'd never be where I was without their support. Sometimes it was rough with my father, but he'd changed his tune over the last year. Not everyone was that lucky.

Her roommate opened the door. "You again?" She raised her eyebrows, but it was just who she was. "You're as bad as Hickney."

"Worse," I said as I glanced over her shoulder.

"What's with the suit?" Kelly smiled and crossed her arms. "There's no way you're proposing. It's been four months."

"I'm sure you'll hear all about it when I bring her home. Besides I look good in navy." Nothing was going to ruin this surprise. We had a rare Sunday game this weekend, and I took that loophole in the schedule to plan this surprise. I glanced at my watch. We had a two-hour drive, but with Grace it never felt that long. "We're running behind."

"Slow your roll, killer," Gracie said. My head shot up and I lost all equilibrium. Her light pink dress hugged her body in the right places and was modest enough to be all her. "You okay?"

"You're the killer," I said pointing at her dress.

Grace smiled and grabbed her long, tan cashmere coat. "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise." I held out my arm. Grace linked hers with mine and I lead us to the stairs. Over my shoulder, I added, "See ya, Kelly."

"Hurt her and die," Kelly sang before slamming the door.

Grace laughed and leaned against me. "She likes you."

"You'd be hard-pressed to know that." I faked the bitterness in my voice. Kelly was okay. She cared about Grace and that was enough for me. Kelly moved in with Grace and Helena less month ago when the house she rented with three others was condemned by the city after a pipe burst. The place had been a shithole.

"Where are we going?" Grace asked again after I helped her in the car. Her coat fell open and that perfect dress slid up her thigh, giving me a glimpse of her milky white skin. Damn, I loved every inch of her.

"Nope, but I'm sure you'll figure it out soon enough." I started the car and leaned across the console for a quick kiss that turned into not so quick. "But where we're going isn't the surprise."

She smiled. "Life will always be a surprise with you, Nolan."

My ego swelled at the implied future. She thought about it as much as I did. "I'll do everything to make sure you know you're loved, cherished, and my everything."

A light pink blush matching her dress covered her cheeks. She shivered, and I turned up the heat before pulling out. We were on the highway for twenty minutes when she told me we were heading to my parents' house. I nodded but ignored the fifty questions that came after that and turned to conversation back to her job with Professor Milkovich and the library. We talked about hockey. We talked about classes, our professors, our friends, everything under the sun. The two-hour drive felt like lightspeed.

I pulled over once we hit our hometown and took a blindfold out of my pocket. Holding it up to her, I raised my eyebrows.

"You're kidding?"

"Nope." I shook it and let it fall off my finger into her lap.

Grace bit her lip, and my body wanted to get a room in the hotel across the street from the parking lot. She shook her head and put the blindfold on.

"Trust me," I whispered as she continued to suck on her lip.

"I always do," she said.

The smile, the pride I felt was better than winning any hockey game. I drove the last ten minutes to our destination. We didn't talk the rest of the way, and I didn't mind. I parked in the lot and sent a quick text to my co-conspirators.

"I'm going to come around and get your door." I swallowed hard, hoping I hadn't made a mistake planning this. "Don't peek."

She smiled. "I won't, but I'm dying to know what's going on."

I wanted to tell her she'd either love it or hate it, but that was par for the course with any surprise. It wouldn't help anyway. I climbed out and ran around to the passenger side. We walked arm in arm up to the front doors and inside. Grace inhaled deeply, and I knew that she had an idea where we were. High schools have a distinct smell.

We walked down the hall and I opened one side of the double doors to the gym. The lights were off, and an excited hush filled the air.

"Ready?" I asked after the door closed behind us. She nodded and I took off the blindfold. It was pitch black for another few seconds.

Then the lights slowly came on, and Grace's hands went to her mouth, covering the gasp at what she saw. I smiled and looked at our classmates that were able to make it. Each of them wore caps and gowns. There were only about fifty, along with several parents and our old teachers. Mr. Wilkenson, our now-retired principal, came up to Grace with a cap and gown.

"Miss Addison, it's good to see you again, but you're not properly prepared." He pushed the items into her hands. "Now, get ready, please. We have to get these kids to their parties."

Grace swallowed hard and nodded. I held my breath as she turned toward me.

"You said you never got a high school graduation." I took the cap and put it on her head. "You should've gotten one with us."

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Gracie, I'd do anything for you." I kissed her nose. "Let's graduate you properly."

I helped her into the gown as our classmates crowded around us. Tears slid down her cheeks, kissing her smiling lips. Our graduating class hadn't been that big, everyone knew everyone, but we all didn't hang out together. Each person had felt the loss of Grace. And each person who was able to come had known her. I stepped back, giving her space and just watching the pure joy she exuded. A hand clamped my shoulder. I glanced back at the man who had been my best male friend in high school.

"You finally found her," Malcolm said. He smiled, but he never looked away from Grace. "I always knew you would."

"It was pure luck." I turned back toward the crowd.

"Nah, not luck, my man. That there is your destiny." He squeezed my shoulder then let go.

Yeah, Grace Addison was my destiny, my future, my everything. And I was going to spend the rest of our lives making sure she knew how much I loved her.