36. Next time

"I should've brought my blue dress!" June paced up and down the dorm room. She was dressed in a dark green halter dress that hugged her curves and made her look the picture of elegance. She'd left her short, dark hair out and it fell just above her shoulders, framing her face.

Holly and I watched her from my bed. "You look incredible." I laughed, shaking my head at her nervousness. "Cora will be speechless when she sees you."

"How are you so calm?" June demanded. 

"I'm not on the inside," I replied. 

I was wearing a deep red dress which had a plunging neckline that I'd blushed at when my mum had first shown it to me. The gown's silky material hugged my waist then fell softly to the floor, moving gently when I walked. The back of it though had to be my favourite part, maybe because it was basically non existent with only laces that I'd spent almost twenty minutes trying to detangle.

June huffed. "I'm only going to work myself up more if we stay here. Are you two ready to go?"

"Have been for the last twenty minutes," Holly joked, standing up. She was dressed in a short, blue dress with off the shoulder straps. The material it was made from shimmered when she moved, catching everyone's attention.

We filed out of the dorm room and made our way down the corridor. 

"You nervous?" Holly asked as we reached the top of the staircase. 

Words caught in my throat as I was suddenly held speechless at the sight of Griffin standing at the bottom with Cora and Holly's date. 

June stared down and breathed, "They look amazing."

But amazing couldn't cover just how handsome Griffin looked. He was dressed in a classic suit that accentuated his figure, and his usually dark messy hair was now combed back. Somehow I managed to walk down the stairs without tripping and loop my arm around Griffin's.

Griffin smiled. "Usually I call you princess, but that would be an injustice. Right now you look like a queen."

I blushed. "You're not too bad yourself."

"Not too bad?" Griffin teased.

I squeezed his arm. "You look stunning."

The six of us walked to the great hall and I was again taken speechless. The room had been transformed. Tables covered in mouthwatering food lined the walls leaving the centre of the room to be a dance floor. I was relieved to find that while the hall was decorated in a sophisticated, 1900's style, the music playing from the speakers was mostly new. I spotted Noah and Ruben dancing together in the middle of the floor, surrounded by people from all four schools, the competition forgotten for one night.

"Care to dance?" Griffin asked.

I grinned. "Of course."

I waved goodbye to Holly and June who had gone to get drinks with their partners and let myself be swept by Griffin into the crowd. We danced together and were joined by the others soon after.

"You look fantastic!" Ruben yelled over the music.

"You too!" I replied.

We continued dancing to the music and I was pleasantly surprised to see that Griffin also had a love for the 80's. In our house it was the most common genre played. My heart soared as Mamma Mia evolved into Your Song by Elton John, the tempo of the room slowed and couples began gravitating towards one another.

Griffin gently pulled me into his arms and we began to sway beside Noah and Ruben who were jokingly slow dancing together. 

"This seems familiar," Griffin said with a soft smile, looking down at me.

Like last night he held one of my hands in his own, while his other rested against my waist, fingers splayed out holding me in a secure hold.

"The music is an improvement." I laughed quietly.

"Indeed." His eyes danced with quiet amusement and he sent me out under his arm with a spin. I returned back to his grasp and he placed my arms over his shoulders, drawing me even closer to him. Griffin dipped his head, his breath sending tingles down my neck. "Have I told you how beautiful you are tonight?"

"Only once or twice." My fingers traced the back of his neck. "Have I told you how, even though you alway drive me up the wall and play the worst pranks on me—"

He cocked his head, teasingly. "Is this supposed to be a compliment?"

I stood on his foot. "Let me finish. Even though you do those things, I wouldn't have it any other way."

He winked. "So colliding with you was a great first move?"

"Absolutely not. It was a rocky start on your part. You'll have to do better next time you're making moves."

Griffin's eyes darkened. "I'm hoping there won't be a next time."

Tiny shivers skittered through me when his fingers skimmed over my bare, lower back. The song began to come to an end and Griffin lowered his head towards mine. I closed my eyes and felt his lips brush over mine, once then twice. I heard June wolf whistle behind us and I pulled back with a blush.

"I have a good feeling about us princess," Griffin said softly. 

"I—" Girls Just Want to Have Fun began blasting out of the speakers and I felt June grab my arm from behind, pulling me out of Griffin's hold.

"This is our song!" she exclaimed excitedly.

Griffin smiled, the spell between us now broken. "I'll go get us drinks."

Noah tapped my shoulder. "I'm going with him!"

I nodded and turned my attention to the others. We danced the song away, and the next, and the one after until I began to get thirsty.

"I'm going to follow up on our drinks," I told June and she gave me a thumbs up.

I wove my way through the crowd towards the food and drink table but couldn't see either of the boys.

"Rory."

I spun around to see Oscar drinking from a glass. "Have you seen Griffin or Noah?" I asked, still breathless from bashing my way between people dancing.

"Last I saw, Griffin was by the kitchen talking to Riley," Oscar replied.

"Thanks," I shouted over the thrum of the music. I pushed my way back through the crowd only to freeze when I got to the other side. I blinked, my eyes were surely deceiving me. I blinked again, but the sight before me stayed the same.

Griffin was kissing another girl.

A/N:

Uh oh... there is trouble in paradise!

Have you ever been to a school dance?

Vote and comment if you enjoyed :) 

SouthernAlps over and out...