Chapter 3: One

Rain scolded her jittery nerves as she descended the curved stairs to the lower floor. It's only a ball. She'd been to countless balls. Only tonight, her husband would accompany her. Other than their yearly ball during their winter house party, he had not joined her for any social outings since their wedding. His presence would most likely set the tongues of the gossips wagging, but it was a risk she was willing to take. It might even work in her favour, as Marcus hated gossip even more than he hated people.

With nervous hands, she smoothed out imagined wrinkles on her dark-blue taffeta dress, wondering if he would like it. Not that she cared, per se, but she was vain enough to want to look her best. Or perhaps she simply wanted to remind her husband of what he had been missing all these years. Which made no sense. She had avoided him as much as he had her. He had hurt her so badly, and she wasn't sure she could ever forgive him. Nor was she sure he would ever forgive her for what he thought she had done in return.

Why he wanted to save their marriage was beyond her. It must simply be his pride and unwillingness to deal with the ramifications of admitting impotence. She could see no other reason to refuse. Ten kisses. She shook her head. It was a preposterous suggestion, but she would play along for the chance of having him reconsider the annulment.

"Miranda."

Marcus's deep voice brought her back to the present and she found him waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs. His voice had been one of the first things she'd been attracted to about him. Well, that and that he was a handsome bastard. Dressed in black evening wear, he reminded her of the first evening they'd met out in the garden. He'd been sweet and funny. A little awkward perhaps, not being someone very well versed in conversing with others, but pleasant. Nothing like the stone-faced man now standing in front of her. A beautiful statue with high cheekbones and a straight nose. Another thing she'd always found attractive was his wide mouth with the fuller bottom lip.

His hazel eyes took in her appearance. She knew the colour of the dress brought out the cornflower blue of her eyes. The current fashion was for rather low-cut necklines, leaving much of her chest exposed. She wore a pearl necklace with a sapphire pendant resting gently on her bosom, and she could see exactly when Marcus's gaze fell on the gem. Holding back a smile, she waited for the inevitable compliment.

"Is this dress not indecently low?"

She huffed. He was such a buffoon! "No," she said tartly. "It is perfectly fashionable. A fact you would know had you ever attended any social events."

"I attended our ball in December," he grumbled. "I don't remember the ladies wearing dresses like this."

"They were." She rolled her eyes as she started walking towards the door. "But it was winter, so many wore shawls. Your attention to detail leaves much to be desired."

She could hear him follow behind her. "I have excellent attention for details," he muttered. "When it is things I care for. Dresses are out of my field of interest."

"What about women?" She threw a glance over her shoulder, only to be surprised by how close he was. She hurried her stride down the steps to their waiting carriage. A footman helped her inside and a moment later, Marcus followed, sitting down on the seat opposite hers.

When he said nothing, she raised an eyebrow questioningly. It took him a moment to realise she expected an answer to her question. She could see him shifting uncomfortably in his seat. The carriage felt a lot smaller with him inside it, and she had to stop herself from inching backwards.

"I pay little attention to ladies," he admitted, and she didn't know why, exactly, but a wave of relief washed over her.

Had she worried that he had sought the arms of other women when she wouldn't let him into their marriage bed? If he had, why did she care? She wanted an annulment, didn't she? The problem with not facing your problems was that you never resolved them. As she watched Marcus staring pensively out of the carriage window, there was so much hurt and resentment welling up inside her that she struggled to remain silent. She wanted to ask why. Why had he done what he did?