Outsider POV

Wei Wuxian was standing in the treasure room of the Lanling Jin sect leader, Jin Guangyao. Just earlier today, he had discovered that it had been him behind the murder of Nie Mingjue, or at least he believed so after finding the former Qinghe Nie sect leader's severed head in this very room. Only, when everyone came inside and he was about to make the big revelation, the severed head was no longer there. He had no proof now and there was no way that anyone in the room would believe him without one. Perhaps aside for Lan Zhan but that did not really help right now.

Not when Jin Guangyao was accusing him of killing Qin Su, or at least being the reason she had killed herself when they had barged into the treasure room. Not when Su She had talked so much and had turned everyone against him. Not when he had been attacked and had managed to draw his own sword which, according to Jin Guangyao's words, had been sealed and only the Yiling Patriarch would ever be able to wield it again.

Now that his identity was finally revealed to everyone and not only Lan Xichen, Lan Zhan and Jiang Cheng, there was no way they were ever going to listen to him. It was just like in his last life. No matter how much he would try, no matter how many pertinent arguments he would present, no one was going to believe him. He was the Yiling Patriarch, the greatest evil which walked the world once Wen Ruohan had been no more, they would not listen to him.

He could see it in their eyes, as soon as he had drawn the sword, all the looks that they were giving him had hardened and there was no more curiosity or openness in them. They had already decided who they would believe and that person was not him but the Lanling Jin sect leader who was still seemingly shaken over the death of his wife but at the same time, pointing an accusing finger at Wei Wuxian. Jin Guangyao was the victim and he was the villain.

That was not the worst thing, no, he was used to being feared and despised, being blamed for something he had either not done or had no control over. No, what hurt the most was the utterly betrayed look in Jin Ling's eyes. He had spent so much time with the boy and he had thought that they had even become somewhat close, he had considered him his pupil and he had thought that Jin Ling thought of him as a teacher. It seemed like he had been mistaken.

His nephew was now pointing his sword at him, again, it had been so long since the last time he had been in this situation, back on the Dafan Mountain. Back then however, he could tell that Jin Ling had not been all that serious about hurting him. The same could not be said about right now. The murderous and hurt aura was emanating from him so strongly that it almost knocked Wei Wuxian off his feet. Jin Ling wanted to revenge his parents and Wei Wuxian was their killer, there was nothing more and nothing less to this.

His heart felt like it had already been stabbed by Jin Ling's blame. His disbelieving words and betrayed eyes were only pouring salt into Wei Wuxian's own wounds.

How could he had ever believed that perhaps he could find happiness after all this? That his name could perhaps be cleaned and forgotten and that he could live a simple and happy life by Lan Zhan's side? He had been mistaken, he had gotten ahead of himself. He was a killer, the evil Yiling Patriarch, the man for whom had once the cultivation world come together to eradicate. There was no denying that, he could see it in all their eyes.

He just stood there, taking in all their hatred. The words 'Yiling Patriarch' were whispered all around him, he felt like he was drowning.

A hand was suddenly on his wrist and he looked up at once. The only one in the room who still stood by him was there, looking at him with determination. Lan Zhan pulled Wei Wuxian closer to himself and they were running away.