Chapter 1

Millie

Millie

"Millie! We're going to be late!" My mom calls from downstairs as I slip my shoes onto my feet.

"I'm coming, mom!" I yell before grabbing my backpack and phone off the dresser. I turn on my heels but stop dead in my tracks when I
catch sight of my reflection in the mirror. My long chestnut hair is slightly wavy, and my face is free of makeup. I clear my throat and stare at my natural flushed cheeks matching my big honey-brown eyes and rosy plump lips. Then, I look myself up and down before running down a hand over my black school uniform. I fix my red necktie before I heading down the stairs with a strange feeling crawling up my gut.

Relax, Millie. It's just a new day at Huxley High.

"Oh you're here! You need to take your breakfast, honey!" My mom explains as soon as I join her, her eyes sparkling with love. She's sitting at the kitchen table, already dressed for work, reading a newspaper while drinking her fresh orange juice.

"Morning, mom! I'm not hungry, I'll just grab an apple and eat it at school. And I'll take this..." I state and my lips curve into a smile when she rises to her feet and gives me my smoothie.

"Are you ready to go? I've an appointment with a patient in one hour." She responds in a whisper before tucking a strand of her black hair behind her ear and flicking her eyes to her watch.

"I'm ready!" I nod after taking a sip of my smoothie. We make our way out of the front door.

"Oh! I almost forgot! I'm sorry honey but I think I won't be able to pick you up after school. Can you take the bus?" My mom apologies and I watch as sadness pass through her features, her face falling. Given she is a psychologist, she often arrives home late.

"It's ok, mom! No problem! You don't have to worry about me, I'm eighteen." I reply as we reach her red Range Rover evoque. I slide inside the passenger seat of her car and click my seat belt on before meeting her eyes.

"You're right! Our problem's solved! Now let's hurry or we're both going to be late." She laughs nervously. A genuine smile touches her faces as she sparks the car to life.

___

The sound of the bell ringing and lockers opening and slamming closed resonate through all my nerves when I step into Huxley High. Students scurry around me, rushing to their classes as I reach my locker and open it in a rush. I quickly glance at my iPhone before gathering up the books needed for today's classes.

I'm going to be late.

I shut my locker, tucking my books under my arm and gripping the strap of my bag tighter. Then, I make my way to English. Goosebumps break out over me and my heart starts pounding on my chest when I reach my destination. After spotting my friend in the second row, I walk toward the crowd of students sitting in their chairs, snickering.