60

There was no reply from Mo Cheng that day. Sun Fang went to bed without opening the texting channel, knowing full well that if something had happened, there would be a notification for it. He's specifically turned on the notification feature for Mo Cheng's contact (it was closed for most people). So opening up would just set himself up for disappointment for no reason.

Sleep came easy, despite everything. Sun Fang had been feeling better lately, his energy returning to him. His easy going life was a dream come true, and he dreamt of nothing else as he slept. When he awoke the next morning, he did so feeling refreshed and well-rested.

There was still no notification.

Ignoring it, he ambled off toward the bathroom when his bladder's screams could no longer be safely ignored. Some bodily functions weren't optional, but his bathroom was a state of the art beast that he'd designed himself. It fit his every taste and aligned perfectly with his dreams to life a relaxed, refreshing life. No black and white colors could be found here; everything had a far more cozy feel to it.

He yawned as he went through his business, sleep still clinging to him. The splash of cold water on his face when he was done woke him up further, though, and so he was a little more clear-headed when he wandered into the living room.

The sunlight was streaming in through the open windows, the light stretching across the room and casting long shadows where the furniture stood. It was still early morning, Sun Fang going to bed at a reasonable time for once, and the world was quiet. The stillness of the early morning, before most of the world had woken up and become energized by the day, was his favorite time of the day. It was a pity that most days he woke up too late to bask in it, but it just made the times he did so more special.

Ivy was still in sleep-mode, recharging and downloading anything it wished. It stood silent in the living room's corner, the powerful chord going from the bottom of its back to the wall. Sun Fang stopped in front of it and studied it for a moment; it's eyes were closed to simulate sleep. The fine hairs on its head laid still. The features were frozen, utterly unmoving to such an extent that it was eerie. Ivy looked so much like a human that when it was so inhumanly still, it invoked a feeling of wrongness.

He didn't bother Ivy, though. Instead, he continued onto the kitchen, going through the cupboards until he found his favorite cereal and some milk. Once he had everything that he required, he carefully placed it on a tray and walked back to the living room, where he then crossed out onto the balcony. He evaded the pool, water still glittering in the morning light, in favor of the outside table to the side.

He put the tray down on the table and flopped onto a wooden chair, the cushion soft below him. Sighing, he grabbed a pair of sunglasses just sitting around on the table and put them on his nose, protecting his delicate eyes form the furious gaze of the sun.

He poured the cereal into the bowl, then drowned them all in milk. Picking up his spoon, he leaned back on the chair and pulled his legs up on, holding his bowl and spoon in hand as he slowly ate. Time ticked by while he ate, his eyes stuck on the beautiful horizon over the city line. In the distance, he could vaguely make out the end of the dome, and the dry wasteland that lay beyond it. There were tours that briefly went out there, he knew. Maybe it would be fun to take one of them. See what the actual native Guillotine looked like, isolated from the terraforming inside the domes.

Finished with his meal at last, Sun Fang put down the bowl on the table. He pulled out his phone and snapped a picture of the view, saving it in his landscape folder. It wasn't a very good picture; there was a glare in the middle from the sunlight. But it was a weak one and you could still vaguely make out the actual content through it. Sun Fang liked it well enough to keep it.

Ivy stepped out onto the balcony. "You should have woken me up, Young Master?" it said, and when Sun Fang looked at it, it was frowning.

He shrugged. "You looked comfortable. I didn't want to disturb you," he added, scooting around a little on his seat. He narrowed his eyes after he glanced at his phone, "And shouldn't you still be sleeping?" he asked, suspiciously.

Ivy said only, "The motion sensors went off in the hallway. I wanted to make sure you ate a proper breakfast."

"And did I?" Sun Fang asked, rising a challenging eyebrow. He watched as Ivy took in the tray and the empty bowl of cereal, the glass of milk and the yellow cereal box that was almost empty now. Sun Fang refused to feel guilty for not waking Ivy up; sometimes he liked to sit alone on the balcony and take in the quiet. Sometimes he liked it when the world slowed down.

"Cereal is acceptable," Ivy said, now expressionless again. It moved over and took the tray from the table, lifting it up easily. The tall wineglass Sun Fang had drunk milk from didn't even wobble.

"Why, thank you, Expert Ivy," Sun Fang drawled, pulling up his phone again and snapping a quick photo of Ivy standing there, looking right at the camera with no expression at all. Sun Fang's lips twitched, but he pushed down his grin and said hautily, "You may go and do you chores, peasant," waving an elegant hand in a dismissing gesture.

Ivy bowed. "Thank you, my Lord. I shall work hard to deserve your praise again today," it flawlessly said, not a single moment of hesitation. Sun Fang burst out laughing.

*

I keep forgetting to say this, lol, but the reason why reading on CG is good for me is that I get a tiny bit of ad revenue there. It's tiny; OSD alone is only like 5 bucks a month, but it's something. (It varies really wildly month-to-month, too.) But it's based on total reads per month, so it's a simple way to support me without spending a dime, if Patreon/Ko-Fi isn't an option.

Plus, it's been updating there for longer, so it's already on ch 87! (It only updates 2/week though, so I don't know which'll reach the end first.)

READ ON CG FOR FREE: https://chrysanthemumgarden.com/novel-tl/osd/ 

And of course, if you can, please join me on Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/fantasydeath