VIII

08 | eight.

VAGUE CONCLUSIONS

VAGUE CONCLUSIONS.

    THE music began to swell as well as the young woman's heartbeat. His eyes were almost cold enough to freeze her to the core.

"I assure you, madam, that you do not need to worry yourself over my supposed 'falling outs', if that is what you are referring to." He replied, his body stiff and uncompromising. "Do you always make it a point to converse when dancing?"

Elodie huffed in the most unladylike way possible and almost paused in place out of frustration his evasive question. She didn't quite know how to respond.

"Only sometimes. Makes it all so much more enjoyable, doesn't it?" She replied, still slightly vexed. Although she didn't want to stray from her original intent, she would entertain him for a while.

Mr. Darcy nodded to himself. "You consult your own feelings in this case to seek to gratify mine." Elodie rolled her eyes at his response as she moved a few lines down with Mr. Darcy and spun around a younger girl with blonde hair.

    "Oh, very well." She commented airily, growing bored of this ghastly dance.

Mr. Darcy's eyes shifted between the floor and Elodie's face as he felt his mouth go dry. He swallowed thickly. "Tell me," He asked lowly, watching as the woman next to him turned her head in his direction. "Do you and your sisters often walk to Meryton?"

    Elodie looked at him through the corner of her eye. What did that have to do with anything? "Yes, quite often." She said with a quirk to her brow. "In fact when you came upon us the other day, we were just forming a new acquaintance."

    Again, she decided to try and dig more information out of the man across from her. Surely he could not escape this time.

    "Mr. Wickham..." Darcy drawled in detestation, "Has the happy manners that enable him to make friends." Elodie nodded in agreement, for she knew Mr. Wickham to be a rather pleasant man in their short time of meeting each other. "Whether he is equally capable of keeping them is... less certain."

    The two fell in line with Jane and Mr. Bingley, stepping forward and backwards before returning back to their starting position.

    "It seems he has been rather unlucky to lose your friendship in a way he is likely to suffer from." Elodie pressed, carefully analyzing every twitch in his eye and every thinning of his lips. The more she questioned, the more aggravated he seemed to get.