𝑰𝑰𝑰.

CHAPTER THREEthe meeting
——— ⋆୨୧ ₊゚♡ ⊹ɞ ———

I HAD ARRIVED on a friday, so i took the the next few days to get ready for school. on sunday, i asked john if i could go to the store later to get some notebooks and pencils, and he said i could.

i picked out a very basic outfit for my first day, dress shirt, knee length skirt, tights, and black loafers. i didn't know how people dressed in vermont, so i would wear something simple and change to the way my peers dress the following days. i set the clothes on top of my practically empty dresser.

i walked over and sat down on my bed to continue the book from last night. i picked out jane eyre. of course it was a reread since i had to read it originally in eighth grade. i checked the slim watch on my wrist and it was already two. since i had gotten bored of reading my book for so long, i decided that it would help to go to the store now.

i told uncle john were i would be and grabbed some of the money my parents had sent me with and put it in my coat pocket.

"alright, don't be out long," he said from the kitchen table. he had the table covered in papers and large books. he'd told me in the car that all the other teachers at welton had to stay in rooms on campus connected to their classrooms. i felt bad that he had to change that for me, and i walked out the door with a slight frown.

i walked down the street. i saw the convenience store when my uncle drove me to the house from the train station. so i made my way down a few blocks and opened the door.

i walked in and there was a little "hello" from the counter. i looked through the store, grabbing a composition notebook and some pencils. i walked up to the counter when i was sure i was done. i payed the cashier a few dollars, grabbed my bag and walked out the door quickly.

i looked down at my shoes, wondering where i may be able to get cigarettes, but soon i knocked into someone. my foot caught on theirs and i couldn't steady myself in time. i was on the ground below me and a few of my things were sprawled out in front of me. i was walking too fast, and so was the other person.

"sorry, i need to pay more attention," i mumbled out grabbing my things and shoving them in my bag. i was hurrying to get up, and he was staring above me.

"it's all right, i wasn't paying attention either," the boy responded, looking at me as he helped me up. i looked at him too, being met with brown eyes and pink lips.

"i've got to go," i said slowly, pointing to the door and walking away. i didn't want to sit here and stare. i mean, i did, but i knew i shouldn't.

"i'm sorry," he said gently grabbing my arm, stopping me in my tracks.

"no, it's fine," i said, trying to walk away. i didn't really try to escape his grip, mainly because he was so peaceful looking.

"are you alright," he said trying to keep me from bolting out of there as fast as my legs could possibly take me. he wasn't really trying to stop me, though, i just wasn't moving.

"yes," i said, making direct eye contact with him and smiling a little. i hoped he could see the slight pleading in my eyes for him to stop talking and let me walk back outside.

"are you going home," he continued, "i can walk you home."

"well," i said thinking of the cigarettes, guessing this was a good enough sign not to, "yeah."

i couldn't help but feel embarrassed for running into him. he was nice looking, he had nice clothes. he looked around my age, maybe older. so i guess i could trust him to walk me home.

"my name's neil," he said, "by the way."

"faye," i responded, he nodded and we kept walking in silence.

"so, you live around here?"

"yeah, just a few houses down," i said, still looking at my brown shoes. we were silent for a little. i peered at him from the corner of my eye. i looked at his clothes some more and how he casually had his hands in his pockets. he didn't say anything, and when he did glance at me, i moved my eyes forward again. we arrived at my uncle's house and i turned to look at neil.

"well, this is my house," i said, starting to pivot on my foot thinking it wasn't really my house, "i'll see you around?"

"yeah," he said with a smile, telling me he was sorry again.

after i told him that it was alright, i walked up my driveway. i opened the front door and walked up to my room. i set the notebook and pencils next to my clothes for tomorrow. all with a big grin on my face.

——— ⋆୨୧ ₊゚

AFTER A FEW MORE CHAPTERS of my novel, it was dinner time again.

i sat down at the table and did the same routine as yesterday. i mean, i tried to at least.

we sat in silence for a few minutes until i was sure i was going to burst. i had felt this way all day, and instead of writing a journal entry for only myself, i was going to say something about it.

"john, why do you think my parents sent me here?" i started, "no offense, but i don't think they want me around."

he looked up from his food and gazed at me. "of course they want you around, they just think it would be good for you to try something, uh, new," he responded, rather quickly. rushed and rehearsed.

try something new! moving me away from home and trying to blame it on how quiet i had gotten could not be excused. at this point i think i should have just kept my mouth shut.

"but they hardly ever talked to me, and when they did it was just to lecture me," i continued, feeling sorry that i had maybe bothered him, "and then they just sent me on a train here."

"faye, your parents can be extremely, uh, picky, but i don't think they meant to hurt your feelings, i think they just meant to...help you."

sure. everyone always said it. even my parents. i thought john was the cool uncle, the truthful one. i had something wrong with me, something that needed fixing. i knew that i would never fit in with them. i might not fit in with anyone, ever. i wasn't just thinking like a rebellious teenager. i was mad, and it was going to stay that way until i could leave my parents and everyone else behind me. i wasn't going to change myself for them now, especially realizing how they acted towards people they didn't like.

"i guess," i muttered shrugging and going back to my food.

i felt horrible for bothering him, and ate quickly so i could leave. i got my plate today before john could say anything. then i went back to my room and laid in bed.

i felt like i needed to cry, but i felt so weird and out of place that i couldn't. it would be embarrassing to cry over something so stupid and simple now. and i could never tell anyone how i feel. they just wouldn't get it, or they would tell me to go outside and get some fresh air.

i didn't know what to think about being here, but i knew it was better than home. i took a short shower and got ready for the long day ahead of me.

———
✉️: ꒰ 𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬 ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:・゚
first chapter with neil! this is also sort of a filler chapter, but things get more interesting soon!