Part IV - Yeh Raha Dil

Khushi & La's room.

Khushi stood at the balcony, staring at the stars in the dark sky. She fixed her eyes on the two brightest stars, finding her peace, to be back in this balcony after two days, to talk to her parents every night.

"Amma.. Babu ji... look, I just got back home and how drastically things have changed in my absence.. Buaji is here.. I was so happy when I saw her, but when she talked about a marriage proposal.. I wished she hadn't come. I mean, I just wanted her, not this marriage proposal. Now I'm going to have to meet this man because I don't want Buaji to feel bad that I didn't even consider her choice and then I'm going to make up some excuse and politely decline this marriage proposal. I'm 99% sure that I won't like this Shivam Khurana. And Buaji also said she won't force me to get married to him. So, there's nothing wrong in turning down this marriage proposal, haina?"

She looked at the stars questioningly and assumed her parents agreed to her decision, "Accha.. now let's leave this topic. Let's talk about how I spent my weekend. I never thought I would enjoy my weekend with Arnav at RM. I thought it would be so hard to face him after I asked him to stay away from me. But everything happened contrary to what I thought. I don't know about other things but Arnav is really a gentleman.. bilkul Disney walo Prince ki tarah (she chuckled silently) I know I'm exaggerating.. he's flawed but he's a good man. Staying with him under one roof helped me understand him better. I learned some new things about him that I don't think I would have known, as I just never gave him the opportunity to get close to me after our meeting in Goa. And Anvi also helped me look at him from a totally different point of view. I saw him checking on Nani while she was sleeping.. Actually, I changed my mind.. He's a responsible man, but in his own way. Bohot hi alag hai.. unpredictable mysterious man! Now I'm realizing that whatever he does, there's always a reason behind it... as his habit of leaving his bedroom door open is related to his past... and his family might think it's his carelessness. And then he is very affectionate.. he was alone in his room because I asked him to stay away from me, he came down to make us ice cream, he watched the movie with us and entertained us so we wouldn't be afraid of the ghosts, he paid attention to our conversation and bought my favorite jalebis to thank me for taking care of his Nani and niece, he shared his toast with me.. he wanted to wash my clothes too (she laughed).. and most important thing Amma and Babu ji. I don't think anyone has made me smile for as long as he has in the last few years.. I really felt like I was with Mr. Stranger this weekend..or maybe he never changed. Mr. Stranger is just Arnav... I was the one who judged him so much," she said, keeping her hand on her chest, feeling the loud heartbeats of her heart.

"I think that's all for today.. I'm going to drink water and then sleep. Goodnight Amma Babu ji.. Love you both!" she said sending flying kisses to the two brightest stars and then walked towards the door of her room.

***********************************************

As she passed the corridor to reach the kitchen, she overheard her Buaji conversation with Lavanya from the living room.

"Lavanya bitiya make your friend understand that this marriage proposal is best for her.. It's our luck that the matchmaker sent her picture to Shivam and he liked her. All I wanted for my doll was to give her all the happiness that she deserves in this world. And unlike that Ranbir, Shivam is a decent family man, he's responsible and hardworking, his business is doing great. I'm sure he's the perfect match for Khushi bitiya. He'll keep her happy always," Buaji said.

"Don't worry Buaji. I'll talk to her.." Lavanya nodded assuringly.

"I've done everything for her since her parents left this world. And now before I die, I want to make sure she gets married to someone who will keep her happy and take care of her the way I did all these years. I want to leave her in safe hands. I don't want her to repeat the same mistake she did by falling in love with a man like Ranbir who abandoned her when she asked for commitment. And this is why I've taken the responsibility of finding the right man for her now."