11 ~ 𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙥𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙩

Lottie

The room, like all of them, was white, and very plain. It held only a desk and two chairs. I was sitting in one, fumbling anxiously with the buttons on my white lab coat. The door opened, and a boy walked in, escorted by two guards. 

The guards sat the boy in the vacant seat and left without a word. The boy's already angular eyebrows were narrowed even farther as he looked at me. I avoided his eyes, and opened the folder in front of me. 

"A9?" I questioned. The boy grunted. 

"Gally," he said sourly. "Not A9."

"Sorry, Gally," I said quietly, sitting up straighter. "I've brought you here to ask if you think you're ready to be put in the Maze."

Gally snorted. "Of course not. Who would be ready for that? But it's not like I have a choice."

"Gally, you'd be helping a lot of people-" I began calmly, but Gally wasn't having any of it. He slammed a fist on the table, causing me to jump. 

"Stop doing that! Stop acting like WICKED's robot! I know this isn't you, Charlotte. I've heard what you say about them, you don't really-"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I replied coolly, very aware of the cameras and microphones that were littered throughout the room, recording everything we said or did. "And I'm very sorry about your feelings, Gally, but we seem to have run out of time."

The door opened again, and the guards entered to take Gally away. When the door shut behind them, I dropped my face into my hands, sighing loudly. Please don't hate me.

"Next," I called. 

The next boy in front of me was just about as intimidating as Gally. He had his large, dark arms folded, and was gazing at me steadily. I couldn't read his emotions from the blank look on his face. 

"A6," I said. The boy's face tightened, but he didn't say anything. I sagged a little in disappointment. I half wanted him to correct me, to say that his name was Alby, not A6. "Do you know why you're being sent into the Maze?" I asked. 

"I'm immune to the Flare. Somehow, I'm supposed to help you find a cure for from inside the Maze." Alby's expression didn't change. 

"Yes," I replied. "And... do you want to help us?" 

He stared at me for a while, before reaching into his pocket. He pulled out a simple button, like the ones on my coat. "Do you know what this is?" he asked. I shook my head slowly. "This button was on my mother's blouse the day I was given to WICKED. She told me to save lives. She also told me not to forget her." Alby blinked numbly at the button. "Well, I know I won't be able to fulfill one of those, so I have to do the other. I have to save people; I want the Flare to be cured. For my mother."

It was silent for a moment. Alby slid the button back into his pocket. "Thank you, Alby," I said in whisper, as if our eardrums would burst if I spoke too loudly. Alby nodded respectfully, and went with the guards without struggle when they came to get him. 

Next was a boy that I had been dreading talking to all day. I knew he was angry at me, and he was a little scary when he was angry. 

"Hello, Minho," I said, not even bothering using his subject name, which was A7. I knew it would just make him more upset. 

"Hi," he replied shortly. I sighed. This was going to be a tough session. 

"Minho, do you know why you're-"