prologue: the end

ethan felt his breath stopping as he watched flavia's catching in her throat, traveling fast from her lungs. he could tell that she's been running by the way her ponytail was messed up, baby hairs sticking to her forehead, the hair-tie hanging loosely on top of her head.

had he done everything differently, he would've been able to get closer and...

... and what? fix her hair? help her calm down?

she wouldn't be feeling this way if he had done something differently.

"is it true?", she asked and now was not the time to act all mysterious, as if he really was a man of few words and more action. in reality, he lacked both.

there was also something about the way her voice ringed in his ears as she spoke those three words. true. what really is true nowadays? the truth in everything they told each other is weakened by the fact that they were only speaking from their own points of view.

however, there was only one true answer to flavia's question and ethan hoped that he would never have to say it.

"yes."

he watched with horror not obvious on his face as her expression changed. or maybe she was just finally catching her breath properly. whatever the reason, the gleam in her dark eyes enhanced by artificial lighting seemed to him more dangerous than ever. the slight step she took back, her white sneaker dragging across asphalt, couldn't go unnoticed by his own gaze.

"maybe this whole thing was a mistake..."

in reality, there wasn't anything he could do to change her mind about leaving, so he let her, his lips pressed together being the only sign of frustration as he stared at her back.

if only he had never come to the damn vending machine.