ten - healing old wounds

"Welcome, everyone, to the debriefing

"Welcome, everyone, to the debriefing. And to Valhaven; to those returning and those new." A man stands up the front, subtle clear on his chin, but not as prominent as the freckles that dot his face. "Teams Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta have all returned over the past seventy-two hours, so this will be a generalised debrief; apologies to team Alpha. A separate word will be had with you later."

Meline sighs, squeezing her folded arms across her chest. She gives Theresa a side glance, rolling her eyes. Via, on the other side of Meline, clucks her tongue. They all stay silent. 

"I would like to congratulate everyone on a successful mission. And by successful, I mean all missionaries survived. Gamma could not secure their target in time, but we are still proud of your hard work."

A few people nod their heads in the long chairs in front of her. Pews—that's what Meline called them, at least. What is a target? Was she Meline's target?

"Now I want to wave to all you fresh faces," the man continues, his eyes meeting hers for a brief moment. "My name is Laurence, but you can all call me Laurie. I'm the second in command here at Valhaven; a safe place for both human and Natura to live side by side. And, well, more. But it isn't up to me to inform you of our true operations." His smile is tight. "Please, do not feel threatened by anyone here. Hopefully by now, you have at least grown some form of trust with the team that rescued you from your hostile situation. Feel free to ask for anything, and we will provide."

Meline sends Theresa a warm smile.

"But, without further ado, I shall let our fearless leader continue the debriefing. Arthur Hayes."

The back of her neck grows cold, the curse thrumming inside her. The man steps off and away, nodding to someone she can't see. Every limb is stiff. Meline says something, but it is a mere murmur, miles away. Then he's there. Blonde hair, salt eyes, freckles. Smile. His eyes meet hers the moment he stands on the podium. She can't look away. Bile rises up her throat. She sinks her teeth into her lips. Do not puke. Do not scream.

Arthur clears his throat. His eyes move. "It's good to see you all here, alive and well." He looks at Meline. "Valhaven, like Laurie said, is a safe place." His eyes roam, avoiding both girls now. "And we welcome you to it."

"Theresa..."

She can't move her head. She can't bring herself to look at Meline.

"I'm so sorry I didn't tell you. I feared that if I did, you'd run, or explode, or hurt yourself or someone. I... I thought it best that you saw him yourself." She sounds like she's choking on a tear. "I'm sorry."

Theresa has no words. Eyes still locked on Arthur. He does not look at her again. 

"Now, all you beautiful Natura—"

"Disgusting Naturian body—"

"You must be wondering why you're here? Why we rescued you—"

"You vile creature—"