A flame in winter and a burning heart

Seasons took its turn in the outside world, blowing a blanket of chilling white letting not even the most stealthy of demons hide. But in another haven one chilled entity, can take shelter from the grasps of the cold wind. It was just the two of them once again, secluded in their own world like a dream.

It had been 13 years since they first met, and 13 more he wished to have in a perfect place where they weren't separated by worlds.

"Kohana!"

Kyojuro called, sitting besides her under a starry summer field gaining her attention as she smiled towards him.

"How many people have been here before? 1?...2?...3?..."

Each time he counted she shook her head, causing him to wonder just how many had been here as he began to count by tens.

"10? 20? 500?"

She continued to sway her head left to right with a closed eye smile, eventually stopping with her hands reaching towards his. Kohana intertwined her fingers with his, pulling them away from the grassy field and towards her face, shaping his hand against the curve of her cheek.

 Kohana intertwined her fingers with his, pulling them away from the grassy field and towards her face, shaping his hand against the curve of her cheek

He then understood, no matter how high he counted she would continue to shake her head. The reason being that he was the only one in all her life in this domain, to have ever appeared before her. He felt a sting in his chest, thinking of all those years spent alone, in the silence endlessly staring towards the heavens like a yearning.

With that simple knowledge, the thought of leaving made it ever so harder. Just imagining her smiling by herself, on the same spot. the same sky that might've been dazzling for him, but for her who has seen it countless times, it must've lost its shine without the admiration from another. Kyojuro smiled a soft smile, watching as she snuggled up towards the palm of his hand as he noticed, has he always looked down to gaze towards her?

Before he knew it, so much time had already passed for him that he no longer needed to look up towards her like he had. Bringing him the memory and question he had back then.

"In a year, two, three, or maybe another five, would I be able to grow up tall and strong enough like one of her trees, to hold her the same way she is to me?"

"Kohana"

Releasing his hand from her grasp, she opened her eyes to watch what he was up to. With her gaze slowly rising each time kyojuro did, as he walked behind her and bended back down along with her gaze. His left arm slithered around her lower waist, and the other under her knees, hulling her up into the arms of his hold.

He could see the bewilderment plastered in her eyes, as they sparkled and rounded along with the pigmentation of the flowers adorning her

He could see the bewilderment plastered in her eyes, as they sparkled and rounded along with the pigmentation of the flowers adorning her. He heartily laughed, taking flight through the fields like a blazing flame. She tightly held him in fear of falling, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and neck, but at the same time she enjoyed the sensation of being in his arms.

For the first time kyojuro was the one to take Kohana around, twirling her around on the road she paved. He had only ever felt such joy being around her, and with the span of two years, he could finally proudly declare to himself he did indeed love the woman he met through a miracle.

Even though he had never shared a proper conversation with her, he felt more than content just by being around her and watching her words and emotions bloom through nature. But admits his excitement, it was quickly disrupted by a clumsy accident.

Kyojuro felt the tips of his toes bang against a foreign object, breaking the rhythm of his footsteps as he begin to tilt and fall widening both their eyes from the sudden pull of gravity. But what surprised kyojuro more was the disappearance of Kohanas weight from his arms, and the sudden tight pull of what felt like ropes.

He was left hanging just barely a few inches off the ground, close enough for his breath to sway the unmoving blades of grass beneath him. After a few sensible seconds, his intimate distance between the floor decreased. Slowly he was pulled up and flipped on his back, and slowly lowered again. Instead of what would've been a hard hit to his head, he was instead laid upon something soft with gentle hands steadying him.

Looking up he saw Kohana peering down towards him, realizing that he was laying on her lap with strands of her hair dangling beside his face. He could smell the sweet scent of pollen and honey, a light and comforting smell enough to send an infant to sleep.

"Thank you Kohana! That was close wasn't it? sorry!"

He grinned, chuckling as he grabbed ahold of the hand beside his cheek, hiding within his hair that cloaked her lap. They spent a peaceful time together just like that, taking in the breeze that brushed against their skin. It made all the wounds and scars he obtained from painful fights in attempt to live worth it, since that very stubborn grasp on life allowed him to come back here.

His eyes eventually fluttered open once again, gazing upon the view of kohana's visage it made him feel elated as his gaze narrowed alluringly.

"You have no idea how grateful I am to have met you! I don't know when I will die in my line of work, but if I do, I'll make sure to find my way back here in my next life! So Kohana will you wait for me?"

He watched as the corners of her smile turn further up, with her slowly narrowing eyes, and just like she once did before, she gave him a kiss on the top of his forehead. Her antlers shined like a crystal under the moon, echoing the tune of a bell sending a hundred fireflies like a prayer. Wishing for that day to never come, and if it does their fates would be tied together transcending time.