Episode 5

'She really is worth boasting about.'

Aris had assumed that Louison was exaggerating his daughter's beauty, but Violet truly was stunning. While Aris was pretty, she was just another girl compared to Violet.

'Thank god.' Aris thought, relieved.

If she couldn't avoid the crown prince's attention, she would just have to hang around the most beautiful lady at the party. Violet was also one of the top maidens selected by the emperor to be the crown prince's bride. If His Royal Highness fancied Violet more than her, things would go just as planned.

"I've heard much about you as well, Lady Essel," Aris said.

"Please, call me Violet."

"Of course, Violet. Call me Aris."

"Alright."

The two girls finished their drinks simultaneously and stared mournfully at their empty cups as if rehearsed. Violet, noticing this, giggled, and Aris began laughing with her.

"We truly are similar," Aris said as they said down their glasses.

"Announcing the arrival of His Royal Highness, the crown prince!" a page called out.

The star of tonight's tea party, the crown prince, had finally arrived after finishing his duties for the day. All of the young ladies who had looked as if they were on the brink of death perked up instanteneously. Determined to greet the prince and start eating, the ladies all snapped their attention towards him.

"Welcome, ladies," Hiel said.

Basking in everyone's rapt gazes, he ran his fingers through his long blond locks and thought about how his good looks were always the center of attention.

***

'Why am I so handsome?' Hiel wondered as he examined his reflection in the mirror. His gloss blonde hair cascaded down his shoulders and his blue eyes sparkled like twin lakes. His eyes were full of elegance and grace and looked more beautiful than the rarest jewels.

"Hmm."

"What's wrong, Your Royal Highness?"

"I feel like I'm too perfect."

"But of course," his gentlemen-in-waiting began, ready to sing his praises. "Your every movement is mark with elegance, you have chiseled with good looks, and you're the crown prince of the empire. No man in the world could compare.

Hiel nodded in agreement, smugness permeating his face. He gave his father's another list one-again. The names of the capital's finest young lady filled the sheet front to back, and he could tell how much effort his father had put into procuring this list.

'I want to meet them all!'

Some of the names on the list were unfamiliar to fish, and he was shocked to learn that there were beautiful ladies in the capital that he hadn't met yet. If this was indeed true, he just had to meet these young women. He wanted to be surrounded by them and watch them praise his beauty.

"All of the preparations have been made, Your Royal Highness."

"Very well."

The crown prince nodded at the attendant and took one pleased look at his reflection. With a satisfied grin, his exited his chambers, his gentlemen-in-waiting following him alongside his guard.

"Razaen."

"Yes, Your Royal Highness." responded the gentlement-in-waiting.

"What are the ladies doing right now?"