Chapter 2

Don't look back, Fyn thought to himself as he flew deeper into the forest. He still couldn't help but wonder how that human knew what those spells were. And he was very close to getting that information out of him. Did he trap other fairies too? Holding them hostage until they gave him what he wanted? The fairy shook his head. He did not want to think about what would've happened to him if he never escaped that trap.

Fyn eventually grew tired and landed on the leaf-covered floor below to catch his breath, hands on his knees panting. He didn't think that the human would be able to catch up to him, considering how fast he was on his wings. He could only hear and feel the breeze brushing against his ears. The fairy shivered. It was getting dark as well, he needed to get back home.

Upon this observation, he realized that it was quiet. Too quiet. He was already close to the village, how come there weren't any other fairies nearby? Maybe it was because of the storm that seemed to be approaching in the sky and all of the fairies were taking shelter. He had to get back home as soon as possible, because flying in the rain was dangerous.

Snap!

Suddenly, a large entanglement of white strings fell from above. Before the fairy could fly away it entrapped him, restraining him to the ground. "No-" Fyn grabbed at the net strings, finding that its holes were too small for him to crawl out of. It was all so familiar, and it brought him that same feeling of fear that he felt the first time that it happened. Three giant figures wearing white suits that covered them from head to toe approached the netting. It was those humans again.

The fairy could only stand there in shock, frozen like a deer in the headlights, his mind rushing through memories that he had nearly forgotten. Before he could pull out his knife from his belt, one of the giant figures picked up the net along with the fairy and brought it to its face. Fyn couldn't make out the human's face through the suit they were wearing, which made them seem even more terrifying to him.

"We've caught one!" He yelled at the other two humans in suits, as he held the net up.

"Let me go! You monster!" He snapped back. But the human wasn't paying attention to what the fairy said as he brought the net to the other humans.

One of the two suited figures approaching was holding a clear box, which appeared big enough to hold several fairies. Fyn began to furiously cut at one of the strings of the net that he was trapped in. He was not going back to that horrible place again. He could hear the humans having a conversation, but he didn't bother to know what they were saying. They'd be distracted for a quick moment as he attempted to free himself. Once he managed to create a hole that was large enough to crawl through, he squeezed his head and shoulders through it to escape. He was careful to avoid getting his wings pinched, since they were delicate. Fyn attempted to fly as he jumped away from the net, but he wasn't quick enough to move his wings. He yelped as he fell towards the dirt floor. His hands and knees stung from the impact, but he had no time to attend to his wounds. He jumped right back up on his feet and ran so he could gain momentum to fly away.

As Fyn ran, he heard the tone in the humans' conversation change. "The fairy escaped! Get him!" one of them yelled. Fyn flew above the humans as they ran after him from below, far from their reach. But the humans had nets attached on long sticks, and they swung them at the fairy. Fyn flew even further above them into the trees, hoping he'd lose them.

Fyn looked below at the humans as they ran across the red and orange leaf-covered floors, continuing to yell with frustration at each other and pointing in his direction. He glanced back up in the direction he was flying in to realize that there were two other suited figures sitting on the branches of the tree, net harpoons aimed right at the fairy. There were several mechanical snapping sounds followed by the launch of two nets flying towards the fairy, but he managed to dodge them as they nearly brushed his wings. Fyn turned to fly in the other direction right before he got too close to the humans in the trees that also had nets attached to long sticks. He had no idea that there would be humans hiding in the trees. Fyn realized then that he had to fly even higher in order to avoid them entirely.

The fairy eventually made it above the bare tree branches where no human could climb. He had only flown this high before several times, and the dark clouds directly above him made it even more scary than it already was. The thunder rumbled even louder, and he covered his ears. Of all the days that Fyn was out, there had to be a storm when he was almost captured by humans twice.

Although most of the leaves have fallen from the trees, Fyn couldn't tell if the humans were still below him in the forest. The rain beat against his back and his wings, leaving his hair and his clothes drenched. He didn't know how much longer he could stay up in the air, but he couldn't return back to the forest floors where the humans would be waiting to capture him. Fyn realized that he was flying further away from the village, but he had to in order to avoid leading the humans to where the other fairies were. Where was he going to hide now?

Suddenly, Fyn felt the hairs on his body begin to rise. It was odd, considering that he was wet from the rain. It felt like goosebumps, but it was almost like energy. He immediately realized what was about to happen, and began to quickly mutter phrases out loud as he flew lower towards the trees.

CRASH!

A flash of light blinded Fyn as he felt a sudden burn that struck him in the back. He squinted his eyes and covered his ears from the deafening noise.

"ARGHH!" he cried in pain. Stunned by the shock of lightning, Fyn could barely keep his wings moving. He could only hear white noise and began to feel dizzy. He felt a falling sensation in his stomach, and he spun as he struggled to get himself facing upright back into flying position. It only made him even more nauseous. Is this how I die? He thought as his eyelids began to feel heavy.

Fyn fell back into the trees, the branches scratching his bare arms and ripping through parts of his clothes. He managed to grab a small branch to briefly stop the fall, dangling above the forest floor. But he felt too weak to hold on any longer. He lost his grip on the branch and began to fall again, screaming.

Fortunately, the fall was much more brief compared to the distance that he dropped from the sky. Fyn fell into a bush, which somewhat cushioned his fall, and grunted as he made impact with the ground. He twitched in reaction to the electricity that was still in his body. The fairy was in pain from head to toe, his back especially, and he was exhausted.

Fyn attempted to move his body but it hurt to do so, even from the smallest movements. He had to get up. With perseverance, he planted his hands on the muddy ground and pushed himself onto his knees. He placed his feet on the floor one at a time and somehow managed to stand up. He still needed to get away from those humans.

Fyn stumbled out from the bush, only taking a few shaky steps before he collapsed back onto the muddy floor. His body was beat, he couldn't get up this time. The rain fell on him once again, continuing to drench him and get him dirty. He was going to be stuck here for a while.

Time dragged on as Fyn laid in the mud, motionless. No one was going to find him in this weather, unless those humans in the white suits found him first...if he even managed to stay alive. He thought about the fairies from the village. They must have been worried sick about him, especially his mother. Fyn remembered how he refused to listen to his mother's concerns. She said that he wasn't the same after he returned to the village that one time, and she didn't want to lose her son again. Why didn't I listen to her?

Then, he heard it. Squishing noises, like large footsteps, walking through the mud. The footsteps started to become louder. No, they couldn't have found me. Not in this heavy rain. Fyn did scream as he was falling, so that's probably how they were able to find him. But it had been a while since he fell. Did they really spend all that time looking for him?

The footsteps stopped once they were right next to the fairy and a light shined from above. Fyn weakly rolled over to see a giant creature standing above him, holding what appeared to be some sort of stick with a light coming out of it. Laying from the ground, the creature appeared to be massive to the fairy, the toes of their black muddy boots were probably half of Fyn's height if he was still standing. It wasn't one of those humans in the white suits, but they appeared to be wearing a thick, dark blue coat. The human wore a hood over its head, and the fairy couldn't make out its face. Who was that?

Fyn's vision began to blur as the human figure bent down over the fairy, bringing the light closer. "P-please don't take me..." Fyn managed to mumble. The last thing he saw was a hand extending out towards him.