Chapter 69

"Back then, Tian En Guang helped me, so I made him the chief of the Court of Imperial Stud. With his abilities, he cannot hold a higher position," Jin Yang explained to Gu Ru Jiu. "I cannot remember what his daughter looks like. Do not think more."

"I will not think more." Gu Ru Jiu poked his chest with a finger. "Do not speak nonsense about a good woman like that. You do not remember what she looks like—will she remember you?"

"Jiu Jiu's words are correct. These are matters of five and six years ago. She must not remember me either." Jin Yang smiled, in a good mood. He had He Ming bring what he had prepared.

"What is this?" Gu Ru Jiu saw Jin Yang like this and was curious. "Why is this so mysterious?"

Jin Yang went up to open the box. Inside was a stack of books. These books looked old, and some of the binding threads had been worn off.

Seeing these books, Gu Ru Jiu was stunned for a moment. She reached down to touch these books. "Weren't these from my study?"

"Yesterday, when we went to the in-laws, I saw many notes inside the books, and guessed that they were your favorites. So today, I had people go to the in-laws to move them here." Jin Yang crouched down as well. "See if there is anything missing?"

Gu Ru Jiu shook her head, her heart soft. She said to Jin Yang, "Thank you."

Jin Yang touched his forehead to hers. "As long as you like them."

"Your Majesty, Prime Minister Zhang has a matter." An eunuch reported from outside.

Jin Yang sighed and stayed unmoving by Gu Ru Jiu's side.

"Go see—maybe Prime Minister Zhang has something important." Gu Ru Jiu saw him like this, and pinched his ear with a smile. "Go see first; I will have the imperial kitchens make your favorite dishes."

"Well, then." Jin Yang obediently stood up when his ear was pinched. He left Purple Imperial Hall with a few eunuchs. Gu Ru Jiu watched his figure disappear outside the door and then turned back to flip through the books.

Some of the books were ones she had used when she was just a few years old, and others after she was ten. All of them carried her memories.

She opened a travel record. She remembered that Big Brother and his wife had brought this for her not long after their marriage. She had been about seven or so then, and because her hand was not steady, her writing was soft and had no sense of style. When Big Brother saw her, he helped her make a lot of notes.

More than seven years had passed. Eldest Sister-in-law was no longer present, leaving behind Eldest Brother. She worried about him, but could not say the words of having him remarry.

"Your Majesty, what is it?" Qiu Luo saw her expression was not quite right and asked in worry, "Is it too hot, and you feel uncomfortable?"

"No matter." Gu Ru Jiu shook her head and closed the book in her hands. "Second Sister-in-law is pregnant. Go and see if there is anything in the stores that is suitable for pregnant women and pack it up. Send it for me to the ducal establishment."

"This servant will go immediately." Qiu Luo bowed and left with two female officials to prepare gifts.

Gu Ru Jiu looked at the other people in the room and waved her hand. "You may all leave."

"Yes." The palace attendants saw the empress did not have a good expression, and perceptively bowed and withdrew.

After these people left, Gu Ru Jiu lifted her dress and sat down on the ground before going back to flip through the books.