sixteen.

шестнадцать. (shestnadtsat') — sixteen.

Mace got back home and crossed out the name Carson off her list with a satisfied smile

Bucky walked over as she did so, wiping his hands with a towel after washing dishes. He smiled at her.

"It went well?" he assumed, putting the towel on the counter.

"It did," she said, closing the notebook and looking up at him from her spot on the couch. "It did."

"I'm glad," he said. "Maybe next time it could be easier."'

"Probably," she said. She opened the notebook again and looked at the rest of the names. All were those of people from HYDRA she had helped in exchange for information. Information she now didn't need. And things she had given them that they didn't deserve.

"All the rest are bad people," she said. "People I need to take something away from."

"Bribery," he said.

"More like a trade," she thinned her eyes and said.

"Have it your way," he shrugged.

"But I don't know what to do," she said. "About them, I mean."

"Hey, that's what I'm here for," he said, sitting next to her. "I'll help."

"I've always been alone," she began. "Always. I'm not used to your help. But I love it. Now, I just... I feel like I need it.  But I don't mind."

"If we're being honest... I might as well say that you make me feel safe, too. You make me feel like myself. You make me feel like I'm a good person."

Mace smiled. "Why, because I'm so bad?" she joked.

"No!" he laughed. "No. Because... because you put my past behind me. You say it. You accept it. You know it. That I'm not the Winter Soldier. It's one of the reasons I love you."

"See, we can understand each other," she said, tilting her head and looking him in the eyes. "Like I said once before. We're the same. And I think that... maybe that's what I needed to see. That's what I was searching for. You gave me hope, James." She smiled as tears welled up in her eyes. Finally, she could accept all that had happened. And put the past behind. "You gave me hope, because if you could do what you're doing now, then there was hope that I could, too."

James smiled at her. His eyes widened with love and he brought his head closer to hers. They both closed their eyes and leaned in for a long kiss. It became more intense as James allowed Mace to push him onto the back of the couch. Again and again she kissed him fiercely. He could feel how she cared for him. He was soft on her, and allowed her to do as she pleased to him. He indulged in her lips and ran his fingers through her hair.

"You're amazing," he whispered to her.

"Just kiss me," she replied.

— —

one month later. late february, 2024.

Mace sat and read her book on the couch. Every once in a while she would look up and smile at Bucky as he danced with spoons in the kitchen while cooking. Music played loudly from the record player, but it didn't much distract Mace from her reading. Mostly just Bucky's movements.

Beside her she felt a small vibration— her phone rang. No number showed up on the screen: only the word UNKNOWN. She picked it up and stood to go on the apartment's small balcony, since it was too loud inside.

"I'm going to take this," she said to Bucky, pointing to her phone. He nodded at her, and she walked to the other side of the flat to where the sliding door to the balcony was.

It wasn't a large area — four yards (3.5 m) across at most. It had a silver bannister and two black metal folding chairs. It was breezy and a little cold out, but Mace didn't mind. She liked the outside.

She clicked the green button on her phone to stop the vibrating and put it to her ear.

"Hello," she said.

"Mace Wilcox," said a familiar voice with a Russian accent.

Mace let out a dry huff and smiled at the almost desperate act.

"Belova," she said. "How are we?"

"Fine," she said. "Decided to not join me, I'm guessing? Or can you really not find me?" Mace could hear the smirk in her voice.

"Let me guess, you're on my roof?" she joked. "Of course I decided not to join you. I'm staying with James."

"How many times must I say it? Do you not understand English anymore? Он делает тебя слабым, Wilcox. Can't you see it?" He makes you weak.

Mace thinned her eyes. "He does not make me weak, Yelena. And you know what, I don't have to prove that to you. Because I know it. You can't get to me anymore, Belova."

Mace stopped talking, but Yelena was silent on the other side of the line, so she continued.

"You know, last time we talked, I was torn apart. I used to tear easily. You were the scissors. I was the paper. Now I am the rock, Yelena. You can't break me. I'm not going with you, Yelena. I know what's good for me."

"Fine," replied Yelena. Mace thought she sounded the slightest bit upset. "Stay with him. Do as you please. Have a nice life, Mace. Tell Barnes 'привет' from me." Hello.

"Yelena," said Mace, before she could hang up.

"What?"

"I'm sorry," she said. "I hope you can find someone to talk to. But I can't help you like you want me to."

"I don't need anyone to talk to," said Yelena.

Mace smiled to herself.

"That's what I used to think," she completed. She took the phone off her ear, hung up, and walked back inside.

She wasn't unsure anymore.

a.n.: guys last chapter before the epilogue what???!! what was your favorite part of the story?!

don't forget to vote :)

molly