5⎮better with passion

The silence had fallen

Everyone had gone quiet as I realized my words. What the heck was I thinking saying that? How crazy did you have to be to agree with what Ethan had said?

From the moment I said those words, I knew I would regret it. Nevertheless, I had said them anyway and now I was faced with only three options.

Number one: I could deny everything, say I was full of crap, and pray that people would believe that nothing ever happened between Luke and me.

Number two: I could go further in my lie and say that there was or still is something going on between us.

Number three: I kept my mouth shut, just so I wouldn't screw things up even more.

Honestly, I was going for the third option, but that was without counting on my biggest problem: Luke Shelton.

When I had spoken, I hadn't taken my eyes off of him and his reaction was very simple: he just didn't give a damn. His face remained the same. He had neither denied nor affirmed my words and had not even flinched.

Even now, his eyes were focused on me, studying me as if he was trying to figure out what my next move was going to be.

Suddenly, pulling me out of my thoughts, Lauren's laugh rang out. Helen joined in her laughter and I could only assume that they weren't taking me seriously.

"That was a good one, Em'" my best friend said, sounding amused all over again.

My brother, next to me, sighed so loudly that I could hear him. "Honestly, I almost had a heart attack, lil' sis," he began, shaking his head from side to side. "For a moment I thought it was true. "

"I think we all believed it at least for a sec," Liam echoed.

And all of them laughed.

I knew they weren't laughing at me. That hilarity was the cause of them believing this stuff. Truth be told, if they were making fun of something, it would be them and the stupidity they showed by actually believing this mess. Others joined them, as if I had only pointed out the absurdity of this potential relationship.

Ethan's face had lost all signs of humor. I couldn't say that he believed me, but at least he had doubts. And this doubt was consuming him. The features of his face expressed a certain revulsion at the idea that I might be in a relationship with Luke.

Suddenly, it was as if the light bulb in my head went on.

I had promised to make my ex suffer as much as he had made me suffer. And something I knew for sure was that Ethan didn't love Luke. I wouldn't say he hated him, because that was - and still is - my thing rather than his, but he didn't like Luke in the slightest.

So imagine that someone you despised had what you once had but no longer have. A man's ego is fragile. Even if it's not jealousy motivated by love, it will be motivated by self-esteem and pride.