7.

Anaya.

I’m tearing through the woods, my heart thumping fast in my chest. I can barely hear it though, over the rush of blood in my head and the sound of my four feet going as fast as they can.

I wanted to slow down at some points, I hadn’t eaten in a while so I really didn’t have that much energy but the thought of Bolik, who I had knocked out cold and would only wake up furious and probably come after me was enough to propel me.

After Bolik had clarified that I had no choice in the matter, my blood ran cold because I realised he was right. A disadvantage of being a rogue was that there were no repercussions for your actions. In a pack, you had an Alpha to report to, you had authority over you, basically law enforcement. Out in the real world as a rogue, there were no laws, and you can’t enforce something that doesn’t exist. 

And he was right, I was alone, nobody would come and save me. The rest of the group had already left and if Sonya returned to check on me like she said she would, she would of course want to help but that would mean a fight with Bolik. A fight to the death. 

So, I had only one option. I grabbed a lamp and hit him over the head with it. It wasn’t strong enough to knock him out but it gave me enough time to get away from him with him still chasing me. Then he tripped. He tripped over something and fell, hitting his head on the ground.

I knew he wouldn’t be out for long so I didn’t wait, I took off my clothes, shifted, carried my clothes in my mouth and took off running. 

Because Bolik wasn’t entirely right. I wasn’t alone. If he was still alive, I had a brother. I was doing what we should have done in the first place, I was going back to Darkhide Hounds territory.

************************

It was evening when I got to where we had camped out the night before. It was hard to believe that that was just 24 hours before. 

I didn’t really have a plan. I thought maybe I’d be able to find my brother’s scent and then follow it but it was obvious a lot of wolves had been in the area since we left and there were too many scents for me to be able to pinpoint his. 

It was stupid to think I could. 

I shifted back to my human form and wore my dress. I realised with horror that my tights had dropped sometime during the journey which meant I had nothing to cover all my exposed skin with. 
Tired, I leaned on a tree trunk, glad to finally be able to rest my back. And then, adding to the list of stupid things I’d done that day, I fell asleep.

I awoke with a start. Mentally cursing myself for falling asleep, I stretched and opened my eyes and immediately regretted it.

I was surrounded. 

By wolves.

I immediately made to shift as well. 

“Don’t bother,” someone said from behind me.

And talking about karma being a bitch, I was hit over the head and knocked out.

My head was pounding when I came to. I blinked slowly, trying to get my eyes to adjust to the light. 

I was in a small, dingy room that looked as if all the walls had ever seen were blood and death. And I was chained. 

There were two men standing stiffly by the metal door. Their eyes shot quickly at me as I stirred but quickly returned to staring blankly at the wall. 

I coughed, my throat was dry. 

"Hello?" the men didn't even glance in my direction.

"Where am I?" same reaction. I didn't need an answer though, I was pretty sure where I was. It didn't take a genius to figure it out.

It did need a genius, however, to figure out how I would get out of this mess.

We stayed like that for a few more minutes, me, trying not to stare at the dark corners of the room, them, pretending I didn't exist.

Then there was a clang from outside of the metal doors and one of the guards moved to open it.

A man walked in, from the way he carried himself, I knew he had to be either the Alpha or Beta of this pack.

He entered the room and conversed silently with the guards (they speak!) before turning to face me.

I couldn't get a good look at his face because of the poor lighting but I could tell he wasn't bad looking. He had the midnight black hair that are unique to Lycans and a muscular build.

He ran his eyes over my body and I realised with a gasp that I was wearing only the short black dress and because of my position, it had ridden up, leaving only an inch before my entire lower body would be exposed.

I shifted, trying to bend my legs and adjust my body so I wasn't so exposed. Then I lifted my chin and stared at him defiantly, I'd be damned if I let the fear that had set up camp within me show on my face.

The action caused the tiniest of smiles to break out on his face before he quickly returned to his stony expression.

Then he left.

It was quite anticlimactic. I'd been expecting to at least hear him speak.

The guards locked the door and returned to their positions.

"You guys have no plans to speak to me, huh?"

My shoulders slumped. My wrists were beginning to hurt from the chains.

My heart had started beating faster and the scent had reached my nostrils before a clang sounded on the door again.

Shit.

The guards opened the door and he walked in. He was tall, that was the first thing I noticed. Very tall.

The second thing I noticed was the guards baring their neck to him as a sign of respect.

A sign given only to Alphas.

I'm mated to an Alpha.

The Moon goddess has to be fucking with me.