Chapter 25

It's a cold night, your breath coming out in puffs of smoke as you sit on a rock and stare at the moon shining brightly above. (w/n) is your only company as he takes a nap beside you, but that changes when a figure steps out of the woods and walk slowly into the clearing towards you. (w/n) immediately perk up but he doesn't get on his feet when he sees Elric approaching, instead he only keeps a very careful, almost hostile, eye on him.

"Aren't you supposed to be resting?" You said, knowing who it is even without looking.

"My shoulder doesn't hurt anymore, and I'm lucky to be alive, thanks to you." He stood for a second beside you before sitting down on the ground on your right side.

"No need to thank me, I merely did what I thought was right in that moment, and it's not necessary for someone to die today." You said before finally looking at him.

He stares at you with a mixture of longing and regret in his eyes. He must still be putting himself down because of what he did that night or what he attempted to do.

"You're looking at me like I'm still wounded." You let out something between a scoff and a laugh, looking away from him.

"(y/n), can I.. can I hold you?" He asked all of a sudden making you whip your head towards him fast. "I know it's too much to ask but I just.. I just really.. I thought you.." He struggles with his words, looking down at his hands, too ashamed to look you in the eye. "I'm sorry."

"It's not me whom you should be apologizing to." You paused, looking at the big white furry creature beside you. "It's him." Then you look back at Elric. "You wanted to kill my amplifier." You said making (w/n) growl lowly beside you as he stares at Elric still.

"I.. I am sorry." Elric directs his apology to your wolf this time. "I knew trying to kill you was wrong and I wasn't thinking." Then he looks back at you. "But Alina was devastated, the way her amplifier was killed, it wasn't right and it still isn't–"

"So you wanted to kill my own for revenge? Did she put you up to this?"

"No no, she didn't, I.." He sighed. "It's true I saw how devastated she was and I just felt.. I don't know.. helpless, but realizing what it meant for all of us with you and Aleksander having such a powerful creature on your side, well, I did what I thought was right too in that moment. I'm not saying it's right I just.. hope you at least understand why I did it."

You could only nod at Elric as you run your hand through your amplifier's soft and fluffy fur.

"I guess I understand.. but Aleksander told me about a prophecy–"

"Of course he did, but he told you only what he wanted you to know." He scoffed and you frown looking at him again.

"And you didn't? You lied to me about being a simple townsfolk with no ulterior motive." You glare at him making him sigh deeply once again.

"I know what I did but you have to understand. I do what I do to protect my own people too, my family–"

"What family?" You asked, the crease on your forehead not disappearing.

"My mother.. and my sister." There's a short silence before he continues. "People like me, we provide for our family the only way we can, and that is to work for and with the druskellé. They already predicted before that General Kirigan has a devious plan against our kind so they sent us out."

"How many have you killed?" You asked, not able to look him in the eye.

"What do you–"

"How many Grisha! Elric?" You couldn't stop your voice from rising this time.