Chapter 5

Chapter Five

Kitty was very nervous as she went down to breakfast. Her relationship with her mother was still alright but she wasn’t sure how her father would feel. He was very protective of all his children. Most fathers would not care if their sons went off and enjoyed women but he did, and James was being punished for it. So, she too would be punished for behaving poorly in public, and she was not looking forward to it.

One of the footmen opened the dining room door for her and she entered carefully.

The men, being her father, brothers and Captain Aubrey all stood. Her mother, Sabine and Little J looked at her cautiously.

“Good morning,” Kitty said quietly. She met Captain Aubrey’s encouraging eyes as she sat down next to Little J beside her mother.

“Catherine,” her father said gruffly. “I trust you slept well.” Kitty knew she was in trouble if he was using her Christian name.

“Yes, papa,” she nodded. Nobody dared start helping themselves to the breakfast foods laid out for them. Fresh bread and butter, steaming scones and jam, ham, eggs and cheeses as well as their tea and milk all sat untouched.

Little J took Kitty’s hand under the table and squeezed it reassuringly.

“Mama tells me that you’ve promised to behave,” he said tensely.

Kitty looked up at her father for the first time. His dark blue eyes, the colour that mirrored her eyes, were very serious. “I have, papa,” she nodded. “I’m sorry if I’ve embarrassed you or caused you any shame. It was unconsciously done. I now know that sometimes change is what we need to evolve,” she told him, stealing a glance at Captain Aubrey. He was smiling ever so slightly at her. She could have sworn he looked proud.  

Sebastian seemed to ponder her words for a moment. “I want you by my side until I’m convinced, Kitty,” he said calmly. “We’ve received an invitation for a dinner party as Lady Russel’s this evening. It’s not a formal assembly, it is just a dinner. So you will sit by me so I can keep an eye on you. I believe that Sir Walter will be there as he is a friend of the Russel’s so you will have an opportunity to apologise to him then.”

Kitty nodded. “I will, papa,” she promised. She knew that Sir Walter deserved an apology. She should not have treated him so horribly. She may not be romantically interested in him but she should not have encouraged his affections if she was sure she would not want them in the end.

Sebastian smiled, satisfied. “Alright, everyone eat before it gets cold, there’s nothing worse than lukewarm tea.”

Once everyone began filling their plates with breakfast, Little J nudged her sister. “What on earth did you get up to last night?” she whispered.

Kitty turned to her younger sister as she cracked the shell on her egg. “Let’s just say that I’m no longer going to be the centre of attention at balls. Where were you last night? Papa was wondering.”