A Step Too Far

The next day at school, Minoru was drawn to you like a bee to honey. She buzzed around you incessantly. Let me hold the door open for you! Let me carry your books! Let me, let me, let me...!

You let her do nothing of the sort, shrugging off any and all of her attempts to help. You wouldn't need her help if not for the fact she all but ordered Oshiro to break your arm. It was just like her and her drugs. She invented a need so she could be needed. She hated things she couldn't control. Well, you weren't going to let her control you.

Oshiro grabbed you after school, dragged you behind the school as soon as you walked out the front door. You didn't know how you would fight her off with a broken arm, but you were willing to try if the alternative was just taking the beating. Strangely enough, she didn't immediately start throwing punches, though.

"You're making me do things I don't want to do!" She said through gritted teeth. Her eyes were glossy with tears. It seemed like sheer willpower was the only thing keeping them from spilling over. But her fists were clenched at her sides, ready to swing at a moment's notice.

"I'm not making you do shit," you hissed, cradling your broken arm closer to you instinctually. "Take some fucking responsibility for your actions for once in your life, Oshiro. Minoru's not holding a gun to your head telling you to hurt me. You're doing it of your own free will."

"You don't understand!"

"You're right, and I refuse to extend sympathy and understanding to the bitch that broke my fucking arm." You think you used to really like Oshiro. Not anymore.

"I don't want to do this," she cried. She took a step toward you, and you took a step back. It was almost as if you two were dancing. You snorted. You wished your fights were choreographed. Maybe then they wouldn't leave behind so much lasting damage.

"So don't. Just walk away."

"I can't... Come back."

"No," you said, firmly, leaving no room for argument or compromise.

"Please, I'm begging you."

"No."

She looked away, off into the woods on the edge of Haruki High. Then she ran her hands down her face and exhaled hard. "I want you to remember this. That I gave you an out and you refused it." She may not have meant it to come across as a threat, but it did.

"When this is all over, and I'm miles away from here, I won't even remember your name." I'll forget all about you. That is a promise.

"I hope you're right," she whispered. Then she grabbed your head in both her hands and slammed it against the nearby brick wall. You went out like a light.

...

You awoke some time later to the feeling of being jostled. Oshiro was carrying you slung over her shoulder.

"Where are you taking me?" You asked her. She said nothing, so you looked around. You were in a forest of some sort. It had to be the one on the outskirts of Haruki High. You couldn't have been out long enough for her to transport you to a secondary location, right? Right?

Before you could take in anymore of your surroundings, Oshiro didn't just drop you. She threw you to the ground. Like you were garbage. Like you were nothing.

You landed on one of your sides, your hip and elbow taking the brunt force of the fall, bruising and cutting them up real bad. You're just lucky you didn't hit your head again. You couldn't afford to lose any more brain cells.

Your vision swam with bright lights and colors as you looked up at Oshiro in fright. Her expression was a blank slate. She didn't look happy, angry, or even sad. She was dead behind the eyes, like she'd shut herself away behind a wall.