Chapter 34

Liam

I slept amazing with Mel in my arms last night. It was the first night in weeks that I'd slept well. There was no tossing and turning, agonizing over how I messed things up with Mel. No, with her in my arms again, things felt like they'd fallen back into place, right where they were supposed to be.

When she told me why she bolted during our date, I felt horrible. I should have realized sooner what went wrong. That comment she made about the bench should have been my first clue.

That little voice in her head that kept telling her she was guilty- that she was betraying Justin- must be friends with the one I used to hear in my head. I used to hear that voice loud and clear, especially when I first started realizing my feelings for Mel. Mine told me often how horrible I was, how I should feel guilty for betraying my friend, how I had no right to like Mel the way I did.

I know now that the voice was wrong. It was the same voice that told me I messed things up by pushing her too far at the rink. That pesky voice has tried to pull me away from Mel for too long. I'm done listening to it. I'm done feeling guilty about the feelings I have for her. And by the sound of it, she's made the same choice.

She said she was falling for me. She called me worthy.

The thought puts a smile on my face. I've been awake for some time now, waiting, thinking. When I turned my head and saw a sexy mess of red hair lying next to me, I thought I might have been dreaming.

Part of me still thinks I am.

That's why I haven't moved yet- well, that and the fact that I want to stay wrapped up in Mel all day and night. I finally have her back, and I don't intend to let go this time.

A soft moan escapes her pink lips as she rolls further into me, burrowing against my chest. I feel my heart swell at her unconscious action. This is where you're supposed to be, babe, right here with me.

As I watch her, I feel the grin spread wider over my face. This, this right here, is what happiness feels like.

I bend my neck to place a gentle kiss on her temple while my free hand moves to trace lines up and down the exposed skin of her arm. My touch causes her to stir. I feel the instant it happens as her hot breath comes in waves against my chest, caressing my skin more quickly than before.

That slight reaction floods me with pride. I love how she responds to me; one simple touch, and she melts, just as I do for her.

I doubt she realizes the power she holds over me. One stroke of her fingers could make me fall to my knees and crawl through fire to do anything she asked.

I know it's true. I would do anything for Mel. She already has me wrapped around her little finger; she has for a long time now.

Mel moves underneath my arm, brushing her hand over my abdomen. It's an effort to bite back the moan threatening to escape my throat at the feel of her touching me, but I manage. When I free my lip and open my eyes, I find the brightest blue eyes I've ever seen staring back at me.

The look she's giving me renders me speechless. It does every time.

I watch as she drags her gaze over my face, down my neck, and to my naked chest. A familiar hunger flashes in those beautiful blues as they find their way back to me. That look sends jolts to every part of my body, especially the one settled between my legs.

I try to calm myself with a reminder that there are still things Mel and I need to talk about before we can take our relationship further. There's no reason to move too quickly, and I won't risk pushing her away because I can't control my urges.

I don't think I'd survive that again. It nearly broke me when I thought I'd lost her the first time.

Taking a deep breath, I force the thought out of my head and set my sights back on the woman in my arms. The hunger in her eyes has been replaced with contentment. She looks so happy right now.

I hope I can keep her that way.

She pulls me from my trance with an innocent whisper. "Good morning, Liam."

My lips curl as I reply with equal gentleness, "Good morning, Mel." The hand, once tracing lines down her arm, moves up, curling a red lock around her ear.

I hold my hand there, letting my thumb stroke the silkiness of her cheek, making her eyes roll back. "How did you sleep?" I ask.

"Mmmm," she sighs. "That was the best night's sleep I've had in a while."

My thumb slides down her cheek, searing a path to her lips before retreating gently down the column of her neck. "Me too," I breathe, feeling her pulse race under my fingers as my hand comes to rest just above her collar bone.

I hear her breathing hitch, sending another surge of pride through me. But when she speaks again, it's my turn to feel a racing pulse. "I want to tell you what happened yesterday."

My heart is thundering in my chest, my words stuck in my throat as I nod, urging her to continue.

She tells me everything, sparing no detail. She explains how she and Tay visited Justin's favorite spots in the city, how she felt as the day continued, and what she needed to do to honor his memory. She talked about the storm of emotions she felt as the day went on- pain, sadness, anger, guilt, fear, happiness, and everything in between.

Mel told me about the flower she wore in her hair so that she could bring the memories of the day with her to Justin's grave. She explained everything that happened at the cemetery and how she felt lighter, peaceful, and unburdened by the end. She mentioned how she could feel Justin's presence at the grave, how he sent signs to her, telling her it was okay, that she could let go and move on.

By the end, she said she'd never really gotten closure from losing him, and it's been holding her back ever since. I had tears in my eyes as she looked at me, confessing that she felt she somehow needed Justin's blessing to move on- to find closure- and she finally got it yesterday.

Our tears fell in sync as she told me I was Justin's last gift to her, that he would want us to be happy together, and she now had the courage to let him go.

After that, she kissed me. I didn't think we would ever stop until her alarm sounded from her bedroom, ripping us out of our newly found bliss. She had to get ready for work, so reluctantly, I let her go, promising to pick up later where we left off.

When she was gone, I started thinking about Mel's story and how much better she felt after visiting Justin's grave. I realized there was something I needed to do today, something that was long overdue.