CH 30: UNDRESSING

He Yan had filled in the conscription paperwork quickly and with neat handwriting. The red-faced man glanced at it and asked, "You can read?"

"Only a little," He Yan answered modestly.

The majority of the men enlisting in the army were young and hard-working, but few were literate. The red-faced man's expression seemed to soften a little as he said, "Head over to the tent in the back. They'll administer you a simple examination. Upon passing, sign the document, and you'll be officially registered."

He Yan expressed her gratitude and left.

The tent was located near the racecourse, standing out amongst the others for its sheer size and grandeur. He Yan lifted the curtain, only to see a shirtless man sitting atop a horse and a physician standing nearby. The shirtless man grinned and asked the other, "Come on, aren't I so buff?"

He Yan pretended to not see him. However, the self-proclaimed buff man had caught sight of her. With a surprised expression on his face, he scoffed, "Are people this frail and weak even allowed to enlist in the army?"

The physician then urged him to leave, saying "Throw on your clothing and get out. I don't have all day."

The stout man cursed under his breath as he left, occasionally stopping to glance back at He Yan with a puzzled expression.

"Stand here..." The physician interrupted, "And undress yourself."

He Yan didn't reply.

He Yan knew beforehand that enlisting in the army meant undergoing a physical examination to confirm she wasn't crippled or bore an infectious disease. If she hadn't known that, her secret might've been revealed. However, she was prepared, after undergoing a similar experience when joining the Yue army in his past life.

He Yan took the physician's hand in her own, and deposited a single silver coin.

He looked down at the coin and then back up at her, frowning. "This..."

"Physician, I had no intention of hiding this from you, but I contracted a disease when I was younger." He Yan looked down, ashamed. "Because of the defects that remain, I was never welcome and was bullied my entire life. I couldn't stand it, so I decided to enlist in the army. I'm begging you, please help me. If I die on the battlefield, I'll surely remember your kindness and repay you in my next life."

The physician had expected him to blabber on about some contagious disease, but didn't expect it to be some type of defect. He stared at He Yan with pity and sympathy. It was the first time he had encountered such a situation, and with such a handsome young man.

After weighing the silver coin in his hand and squeezing it several times, he looked back up at He Yan. He Yan looked perfectly healthy, with no sign of a disease. "In that case, you can leave. Pay attention to your surroundings, and don't let it be seen by others. If you're found out, don't blame it on me."

"Thank you!" He Yan replied whilst shedding a few tears out of graciosity for the physician.

He Yan let out a sigh of relief, after seeing how smoothly the examination went. She stepped outside onto the grass, and was met with the same stout man from before, stuffing his mouth with biscuits. When he saw He Yan standing there, staring at the food, he beckoned her over as if to say hello.

He Yan thought about it for a moment, but ultimately decided to walk over to him.

"Little brother, I saw you in there just now." The stout man paused and attempted to wipe off the sesame seeds that were around his mouth, but failed. "Are you here to enlist in the army?"