03

Jaden was sitting casually on a tree's large root while Ella leaned against the trunk, resting.

"Jay?" Ella called out.

"Yeah?"

"You chose a bow, right?"

"Uh-huh."

"And it's been long since you practiced archery, right?"

Jaden paused, feeling ominous. She turned and asked suspiciously, "Where are you going with this?"

Ella smiled brightly, "We should practice first."

"Practice what?" Jaden asked with an ugly face.

"Bow. Slingshot."

Jaden's face got uglier and with a grunt, she asked, "Why?"

"It's because your rusty." Ella blinked, stating the fact.

Jaden's face cracked, "Oh, yeah? Then, what about you?"

"Unlike you, I play outside with my slingshot. So, I'm fine." Ella smiled at her looking a bit smug.

Jaden wanted to retort, but—well, she's right. She hasn't gone outside the house since the first day of school vacation.

"You did say you need exercise, right, Jay?"

Jaden did say that but she doesn't have the will to do so. With a forced smile, she said, "I'll just figure it out on the way, sis."

"We might meet monsters on the way." Ella smiled back.

Jaden raised a brow with a stiff smile, "So?"

"Meaning you have to fight."

"What?" Jaden blurted, looking doubtful.

Ella sighed again, "Remember? You're the main attacker of the group and I'm just your backup."

Jaden tilted her head, "Like, I know that. But what I meant was, 'what? Can't we just run away?'."

"Are we even fast enough?"

Jaden was about to respond but she thought about it and shook her head again, "Probably not."

"Then let's give ourselves a fighting chance," Ella said with a tired smile and a raised fist.

Jaden observed her tired face. She sighed helplessly and gave her an OK sign, "Sure." She'll just indulge her sister cause that face of hers is just so... Pitiful.

Yes, pitiful.

She'll go along with pity.

She wiped off her imaginary tears as she stood up. She sniffed as she patted her chest and dusted her pants. Meanwhile, Ella watched her actions as if she were crazy.

Jaden stretched a bit and thought of taking out her bow and arrow. The orb appeared. She reached out her hand and felt a wooden surface. She grabbed it and slowly pulled it out, revealing a traditional Mongol recurve bow. She reached out her other hand and grabbed a leather quiver with 24 arrows inside. She wore the quiver over her back.

She stared at the bow in her hand and smiled. She pulled the bowstring to measure its length and carefully retract it to its original drawn position to avoid a dry fire. It was a perfect fit and the weight wasn't heavy for her. "It must've been adjusted to fit me." She muttered.

She stared at the orb, then glanced at her sister in wonder. "Ella," she called and pointed at her orb, "Can you see the floating ball?"

Ella turned her head in the direction and nodded. She thought of something and said "Wait," she summoned her orb and asked, "Can you see mine?"