Chapter Fourteen: Funhouse

After the plan had been set in stone, they divided once again. Both brothers hung onto the hope that this wouldn't be the last time they'd see one another, but who were they to know? As one of them treaded down the hallway with the pilot at his side, the thought dreaded over him like a grey cloud. Thinking over the plan, perhaps it was a little clouded, too. It wasn't a flawless one, but it was a plan regardless. They had to pull through with it.

      Before they split, Allen had given the two advice to swap out their weapons for something lighter. In response, Ryder had picked out a handgun for both him and the pilot, who seemed inexperienced in managing. Ryder had his own gun tucked into the back of his belt, and in his hand was a metal baseball bat, which he thought to be a little useless until Allen made the comment of; "Baseball bats won't run out of ammo."

      The duo had to be stealthy about getting to the infected hall without any of the guys in gear seeing them. At every corner, they made sure to peek around it before making their move. Typically, Chris would've made some sort of smart ass comment or remark, but not this time around. His own paranoia had consumed him to the point where even words seemed foreign. The pilot was still severely unconvinced that this plan would manage, but then again, was anyone else? It was all or nothing now, and they had to give it their all if they wanted to make it out of this place alive. Chris tried to muster up any sense of determination his being had left into giving it his everything. Executing this mission with a heart of confidence was key.

      As the hall of infected began to come into view, that confidence was just sweeping away by the second. Chris turned around to look back the way they came, tempted to chicken out and run back. The sound of Ryder's voice made him reconsider. "You ready?"

      Looking back, he saw that the doctor was at the hall entryway now, bat gripped tightly in hand. "As ready as I'll ever be," Chris replied with a huff. He got into position where Ryder had been standing before. He couldn't control it, but his hands were shaking rather violently. The gun in them was gently ratting with every twitch and jerk.

      Ryder glanced down at the firearm in his friend's hand, frowning as he finally recognized the other's hesitation. He reached over with his free hand and grasped the other's. "You can do this, Chris," he spoke soothingly. "I believe in you."

      The pilot met his gaze, his face softening a bit as he nodded and straightened his posture. "Alright, I got this," he repeated, shouting a bit to pump himself up. "I can do this!"

   "That's the spirit," Ryder gave him a half smile before patting his shoulder. The doctor then spun around and walked further down the hallway past all the tubes and tanks. Chris lifted his gun and aimed it down the hall after his friend, trying to steady his aim.

      Ryder slowed to a stop in front of one particular infected's tank. His gaze dropped down to the control panel in front of it, then he hovered his hand over it. He looked over his shoulder at the other, giving him a confident nod. Chris returned the nod and squinted in focus. With a clenched fist, he pressed down on the button that released the beast inside. The other swiftly pointed his gun at it as it emerged from the tank. Ryder took a cautious step back from the Huskie, who's gaze was locked on him like an owl stalking its prey. The abnormality was roughly five feet taller than the men, so intimidation came naturally to it.

      They were half expecting the creature to just scoop Ryder up and eat him whole, but it was nothing of the sort. Instead, it just towered over him with an empty look. This piece in the operation had been blurry to him, he wasn't even certain that what he was doing here was the right move. The being had seemed content with him in the past, but now face to face, it didn't feel that way. With only one way to tell, Ryder gradually held his hand out towards the Huskie, who dipped its head down to examine it. Ryder held his breath, nearly bracing for impact as the infected began to lift its hand as well. But what they found was rather reliving. The Huskie had simply mimicked the doctor's gesture, hand posed beside his. The pilot watched from afar, face written with disbelief. "How'd you... Do that?" He murmured under his breath.